|Job Title||Deputy Constable||Job Number||202200276|
|Department Head||Constable Pct. 2||Date Open||January 11, 2023|
|Salary Range Minimum||$5,063.07 – $7,008.47 Monthly||Application Deadline||Until Filled|
In order to be considered for employment with Hays County submit the following documents:
- Hays County Constable Application • Cover Letter • Resume Find Hays County Employment Applications at:
Education and/or Experience
Any equivalent combination of experience or training may be substituted one year for year basis.
Other Qualifications, Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Class C Drivers License.
- May be required to possess a Class M (Motorcycle) Drivers License.
- Certification as a peace officer by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education.
- Ability to maintain firearms proficiency.
- Ability to maintain continuing education requirements for the State of Texas.
- Serves civil papers and executes warrants.
- Assists new officers in the field and provides instruction on proper procedure for serving civil process to an individual or group.
- Provides public assistance to the general public.
- Serves as a bailiff for the Justice of the Peace and County Court at Law.
- Provides traffic enforcement and control.
- Participates in training as assigned on subjects such as state and local criminal, civil and traffic laws, and traffic enforcement, including vehicle stop and approach techniques, and the proper use or radar units.
- Effectively utilizes resources available to perform the job.
- Maintains TCOLE certification through approved training.
- Assures the services delivered by the Constable’s office meet quality and timeliness standards.
- Enforces traffic laws including school zones, construction zones, subdivisions and County roads.
- Prepares written and oral reports and presentations.
- Follows up on cases being investigated and assists other agencies (e.g. Fire, EMS, Department of Public Safety and other public safety agencies) and testifies in courts as needed.
- Maintains patrol vehicle and equipment issued.
- Maintains a high profile in the community and participates in community outreach and education programs as required by the Constable.
- Observes activities and initiates appropriate actions while on patrol.
- Responds to major traffic accidents and assists medical personnel as needed.
- Performs civil standby to ensure no violence occurs between members of the public.
- Answers civil questions and assists public with non-law enforcement related problems.
- Attends and participates in public meetings as requested by the public or assigned by the Constable.
- Executes warrants on wanted persons and extradites wanted persons from other jails.
Under supervision, the Deputy Constable executes criminal arrest warrants and civil process throughout the County. This position enforces all civil, criminal, and traffic laws of the State of Texas and Hays County. The Deputy Constable assists other agencies (e.g. Hays County Sheriff’s Department, San Marcos Police, Buda Police, Texas Highway Patrol, University Police, and other public safety agencies) to protect the citizens of Hays County and anyone traveling through Hays County. This position affects the economic and social well-being of the citizens of Hays County.
Individuals in this position serve at the pleasure of the current elected official.
Hays County is an EEO employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Hays County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of background checks, including reference checks, criminal history, and driver’s license checks and driving history.