DIVISION: Criminal Prosecutions
POSTING NUMBER: 19-2166
JOB TITLE: Assistant Attorney General III
MONTHLY SALARY: $6,333.34
POSTING DATE: August 8, 2019
LOCATION: 300 W. 15th Street, 15th Floor, Austin, TX 78701
Office of the Attorney General
WORKING TITLE: Assistant Attorney General
DURATION: Until Filled
Performs moderately complex attorney work for the Human Trafficking and Transnational\Organized Crime Section of the Criminal Prosecutions Division. The Office of the Attorney General is a state agency with over 4000 employees throughout the State of Texas. Work involves interpreting laws and regulations; providing legal advice, counsel, and assistance to client state agencies, local prosecutors, and law enforcement entities; reviewing, evaluating, and rendering legal opinions. OAG employees enjoy excellent benefits along with tremendous opportunities to do important work and make a positive difference in the lives of all Texans.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Prepares human trafficking cases for trial; represents the State’s interest in criminal matters; handles all phases of criminal prosecution from investigation through trial and appellate process; handles complex and sensitive grand jury investigations and presentations.
- Represents the Office of the Attorney General before state or federal district and appellate courts; prepares legal documents, including but not limited to briefs, pleadings, and memoranda; performs legal research and investigations, and reports findings and conclusions; participates in hearings and in the discovery process.
- Assists with or performs training for law enforcement entities, educators, medical professionals and the general public. Assists in drafting bills and amendments for legislative consideration. Performs related work as assigned
- Maintains relevant knowledge necessary to perform essential job functions
- Attends work regularly in compliance with agreed-upon work schedule
- Ensures security and confidentiality of sensitive and/or protected information
- Complies with all agency policies and procedures, including those pertaining to ethics and integrity
- Education: Graduation from an accredited law school with a J.D.
- Licensed as an attorney by the State of Texas
- Member in good standing with the State Bar of Texas
- Experience: Two years of full-time experience working in the following fields as a licensed attorney: Criminal Prosecutions or Human Trafficking Knowledge of laws and legal principles and practices relevant to the prosecution of criminal cases
- Skill in handling multiple tasks, prioritizing, and meeting deadlines
- Skill in effective oral and written communication
- Skill in exercising sound judgment and effective decision making
- Ability to receive and respond positively to constructive feedback
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a professional office environment Ability to provide excellent customer service
- Ability to arrange for personal transportation for business-related travel
- Ability to work more than 40 hours as needed and in compliance with the FLSA
- Ability to lift and relocate 30 lbs.
- Ability to travel (including overnight travel) up to 50%
More than two years’ experience handling criminal prosecutions Experience in handling Human Trafficking prosecutions
All applications for employment with the Office of the Attorney General must be submitted electronically through www.WorkInTexas.com. A State of Texas application in WorkInTexas (WIT) must be completed to be considered. Your application for this position may subject you to a criminal background check pursuant to the Texas Government Code. WIT JOB MATCH: Occupational Category: Legal; Occupation: Lawyers; Industry: Public Administration. Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_Legal.pdf.
THE OAG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER