WORKING TITLE: Section Chief, Human Trafficking &Transnational\Organized Crime Section
DIVISION: Special Prosecutions
POSTING NUMBER: 20-0386
JOB TITLE: Assistant Attorney General VI
MONTHLY SALARY: $8,416.67-$10,666.67
POSTING DATE: December 10, 2019
LOCATION: 300 W. 15th Street, 15th Floor, Austin, TX 78701
Serves as Section Chief of the Special Prosecutions Division of the Office of the Attorney General, an agency of the State of Texas. Manages the Human Trafficking and Transnational\Organized Crime Section of the division. Serves as the Agency’s subject matter expert in the areas of Human Trafficking and Transnational\Organized Crime. OAG employees enjoy excellent benefits along with tremendous opportunities to do important work and make a positive difference in the lives of all Texans.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Serves as the Agency’s subject matter expert in the areas of Human Trafficking and Transnational\Organized Crime;
- works collaboratively with law enforcement, other state agencies, federal agencies, and other partners in the fight against human trafficking;
- briefs and advises Executive Administration on matters concerning Human Trafficking and Transnational\Organized Crime;
- provides and/or directs the providing of legal advice, counsel and assistance to local prosecutors or law enforcement entities; assists with drafting bills and amendments for legislative consideration; testifies at legislative hearings, as necessary As Section Chief of the Human Trafficking and Transnational\ Organized Crime Section,
- directs, plans, organizes, supervises and monitors legal activities for the Human Trafficking and Transnational\Organized Crime Section;
- mentors, trains, and coaches section staff (senior attorneys, staff attorneys, legal assistants, legal secretaries, and administrative support staff),
- assures attorney deadlines are met;
- assigns cases;
- assists with corrective and disciplinary actions
- Represents the State of Texas in matters involving Human Trafficking and Transnational\Organized Crime by conducting investigations, witness preparations and discovery; performing legal research; preparing complex motions, (including pleadings, briefs, memoranda, and other legal documents); attends hearings, trials, etc.
- Performs related work as assigned
- Maintains relevant knowledge necessary to perform essential job functions
- Attends work regularly in compliance with agreed-upon work schedule
- Ensures security and confidentiality of sensitive and/or protected information
- Complies with all agency policies and procedures, including those pertaining to ethics and integrity
Education: Graduation from an accredited law school with a J.D.
Licensed as an attorney by the State of Texas
Member in good standing with the State Bar of Texas
Experience: Five years full-time experience as a licensed attorney, handling criminal prosecutions; first chair felony trial experience Knowledge of law and legal principles and practices relevant to the prosecution of criminal cases
Skill in handling multiple tasks, prioritizing, and meeting deadlines
Skill in effective oral and written communication
Skill in exercising sound judgment and effective decision making
Ability to receive and respond positively to constructive feedback
Ability to work cooperatively with others in a professional office environment Ability to provide excellent customer service
Ability to arrange for personal transportation for business-related travel
Ability to work more than 40 hours as needed and in compliance with the FLSA Ability to lift and relocate 30 lbs.
Ability to travel (including overnight travel) up to 50%
Certifications: Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas State Board of Legal Specialization
All applications for employment with the Office of the Attorney General must be submitted electronically through www.WorkInTexas.com. A State of Texas application in WorkInTexas (WIT) must be completed to be considered. Your application for this position may subject you to a criminal background check pursuant to the Texas Government Code. WIT JOB MATCH: Occupational Category: Legal; Occupation: Lawyers; Industry: Public Administration. Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_Legal.pdf.
THE OAG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER