OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF AMERICAN SAMOA
ASSISTANT ATTORNEYS GENERAL RECRUITMENT
Do you want to practice law on a tropical island while gaining significant legal experience in a U.S. territory? Do you want to work toward protecting and advancing the safety, interests, and quality of life of the people in your community? Do you want to experience a vibrant and unique South Pacific culture?
American Samoa, a U.S. territory comprising seven islands and atolls in the South Pacific Ocean, follows U.S. federal law as well as local territorial law. The Office of the Attorney General of American Samoa represents the Territory in civil and criminal legal matters. Our Civil Division counsels the government and its agencies, as well as represents the government in litigation. Our Criminal Division prosecutes all crimes in the Territory, from traffic violations to major felonies. In both divisions, our attorneys enjoy interesting, thought-provoking work in a relaxed, casual environment.
The Office of the Attorney General in American Samoa is currently accepting resumes for Assistant Attorneys General (“AAGs”) for our Civil Division and Criminal Division:
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Civil Division AAGs
AAGs in the Civil Division advise and represent the American Samoa Government in a variety of civil matters. Areas of practice generally include appellate advocacy, constitutional law and civil rights, contract law, civil procedure, torts, and other areas of law as needed to defend the Territory and its interests. AAGs are responsible for initiating and defending civil actions, which includes preparing pleadings, interviewing clients and witnesses, preparing for and appearing at administrative and judicial hearings, as well as legal research and writing. This position also includes such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Attorney General.
Criminal Division AAGs
AAGs in the Criminal Division represent the American Samoa Government in juvenile, misdemeanor, and felony prosecutions. AAGs are responsible for prosecuting crimes in the territory and such duties include analyzing police reports, preparing pleadings, interviewing victims and witnesses, meeting with police officers and investigators, negotiating pleas, and preparing for and appearing at judicial hearings (including first appearances, probable cause hearings, motion hearings, status conferences, trials, and sentencings). This position also includes such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Attorney General.
Juris Doctor Degree
- Member in good standing of a state bar in the United States
- Self-starter with good organizational and analytical skills
- Proven experience as a member of a litigation or prosecutorial team
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Significant substantive and procedural motion practice
- Committed to high-quality work product, including keen attention to detail
- Well-organized with good analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able to work in a team environment BENEFITS:
Applicants who are hired off-island receive two-year employment contracts, which are renewable. The annual salary for AAGs starts at $60,000. In addition to salary, two-year contract employees receive the following benefits:
- furnished housing (nominal cost to employee is $25 per week);
- travel to/from American Samoa at beginning and end of contract (including family members);
- shipping allowance for personal effects (at amount set by local regulation);
- medical and dental coverage; and
- generous annual leave (26 days per year) and sick leave (13 days per year). TO APPLY:
If interested in a position with either our Civil Division or Criminal Division, please submit a resume, a writing sample, a list of 2-3 references, and a cover letter detailing:
- the division in which you are interested;
- your relevant qualifications;
- your motivations for an employment change;
- why you would like to live in American Samoa; and
- your ability to relocate to American Samoa on an expedited basis.
Applications will be evaluated and interview offers extended on a rolling basis. ***
Please send application materials to: [email protected]