THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED!
SALARY: $124,197.00 – 165,597.00 Salary USD
This role will be responsible for supervising, planning, and directing all legal activities within the section of the office that encompasses the police legal advisors and municipal prosecutors. Candidates who possess experience in supervising municipal prosecutors and police legal activities are sought.
Under general direction of the City Attorney directs and monitors the work of legal professionals. Acts as assistant general counsel for the City of Arlington. Provides legal advice and assistance to the City Council, City Manager and various City departments, and aids the City Attorney in the performance of legal work related to litigation, employment relations, code enforcement, and police matters.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Plans, directs, supervises and reviews activities and allocation of resources of one of the Sections of the City Attorney’s Office, including the use and monitoring of outside legal counsel, and has the ability to select, train, evaluate and direct the work of staff members within the City Attorney’s Office to accomplish departmental objectives.
2. Ability to research and draft various legal documents, including but not limited to: City ordinances, resolutions, criminal complaints, deeds, contracts, pleadings, discovery and discovery responses, motions, and appellate briefs, and the ability to appear on behalf of the City in municipal court, state court, federal court, and other administrative tribunals.
3. Ability to conduct legal research, provide legal advice, conduct interviews and investigations, and communicate legal options to the City Attorney, City Council, City Boards and Commissions, and City staff.
4. Ability to plan and manage the budget and administrative functions relative to their respective Section with in the City Attorney’s Office.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
5. In the absence of the City Attorney, serves as chief legal advisor.
6. Attends public meetings.
7. Ability to follow legislative trends and changes and evaluates their impact on areas of specialization and the City.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, codes, statutes, constitutions, charters, regulations, case law, and municipal law principles.
- Advanced knowledge of functions and operations of municipal government.
- Skill in analyzing and applying legal principles and precedents to local governmental problems.
- Skill in communicating orally and in writing in order to prepare legal documents and represent the City in legal matters.
- Skill in negotiation and advocacy.
- Skill in civil trial for Litigation section head.
- Ability to develop alternative solutions to problems to evaluate courses of action to reach appropriate decision and to counsel/guide individuals.
- Ability to effectively coordinate and supervise the work of professionals.
- Ability to work independently on complex cases and effectively allocate and manage legal resources.
Qualifying Education and Experience:
A Juris Doctorate degree from fully accredited law school, plus a minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience practicing municipal law or engagement in law practice in which significant amount of attorney’s experience is in the practice of representing local government clients is required. A minimum of 1 year experience supervising other attorneys. Licensed to practice law in Texas is preferred.
An Offer of Employment is conditional upon satisfactory completion of the following: Criminal History Check
All applicants must apply online at http://www.arlington-tx.gov