The Harris County Attorney’s Office is seeking an attorney for its Environmental Practice Group. The Attorney will be responsible for managing an active caseload of approximately 40 active cases, assisting as second chair on large litigation matters, and must have jury trial experience and/or bench trial experience. The Attorney should have a working knowledge of the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure and Texas Rules of Civil Evidence and an interest in obtaining a working knowledge of Section 30 of the Texas Administrative Code, The Texas Water Code, The Texas Clean Air Act, The Texas Solid Waste Disposal Act and equivalent federal rules and statutes as well as County Regulations. While most of the emphasis in the work is on environmental protection, obtaining awards of civil penalties and attorney’s fees is part of the job. Applicants should be licensed by the State of Texas and should be admitted to practice in the United States District Court in the Southern District of Texas.
The Attorney primarily:
· Assists with the general supervision of all attorneys and non-attorney employees in the Group and mentors participants in the County Attorney’s Internship programs
Conducts discovery, prepares and argues motions, and conducts bench and jury trials
· Enforces judgments, injunctions and orders
· Establishes a good working relationship with the clients, Harris County Pollution Control Services Department, Harris County Engineering Department, the Harris County member of Commissioners Court and their staff and citizen environmental groups
· Performs other delegated or assigned tasks
· State Bar of Texas licensure and in good standing
· Ability to multi-task and make decisions in an efficient and analytical manner
To view the full posting and apply, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/harriscountytx/jobs/2546948/assistant-county-attorney-environmental.