POSITION: ASSISTANT COUNTY ATTORNEY
SALARY: $80,000-$110,00 depending on experience
OFFICE: Terry County Attorney with Felony Responsibilities
OPENING DATE: January 1, 2024
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
The Terry County Attorney’s Office has an opening for an entry-level prosecutor in our office.
- Represent The State of Texas in all matters handled by the County Attorney’s Office, including misdemeanor, felony, and juvenile responsibilities
- Review police reports from many different law enforcement agencies and file or reject cases based on the evidence presented
- Present felony cases to the Grand Jury
- Attend court settings and hearings
- Efficiently manage a caseload in a fast-paced and rewarding work environment
- Correspond with law enforcement officers, probation officers, victims, witnesses, judges, and other attorneys
- Prepare criminal cases for trial, gather and review evidence, locate and interview victims and witnesses, interview police officers, visit crime scenes, plan jury trials, and review case law
- Handle all necessary pre-trial matters including plea-bargain/sentencing negotiations and evidentiary/suppression hearings
- Prosecute criminal trials, select juries, make opening statements, question witnesses, introduce evidence, and make arguments before both judges and juries
- Review and interpret both simple and complex legal issues
- Maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers, and the general public
- Attend and participate in law enforcement TLETS training and annual continuing legal education as required by the State of Texas
- The duties listed above are illustrative duties; Nothing in this job description restricts the County Attorney’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time based on the needs of the Office
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school
- Applicant must be currently licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, and must be in good standing with the State Bar of Texas
- Applicant must be able to pass a drug test
- Applicant must have a clean criminal history
Salary and Benefits
The starting salary for an Assistant County Attorney with no experience is $80,000.00 per year. The salary for an experienced prosecutor could be considerably more, depending on experience. The successful applicant will also receive a full benefits package from Terry County. This includes paid holidays off, vacation leave, enrollment in a defined retirement plan through the Texas County and District Retirement System, and other benefits in addition to health insurance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
Must possess excellent research and writing skills and a strong ability to communicate and get along with others. Must possess sufficient common sense and legal skills combined to make important legal decisions on complex issues. Need to have basic computer and typing skills and the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Daily duties require sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, and bending as well as speaking to and listening to other people. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job will be performed in the usual and customary office and courtroom settings. Minimal heavy lifting and driving duties are required. The workweek is usually 40 hours per week, but may be longer if you are preparing for trial. The employee must interview and prosecute criminals, and is occasionally exposed to health or physical hazards.
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
Terry County does not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Applicants should anticipate a complete and thorough background investigation and review of any criminal history. Candidates selected for an interview will be notified by phone or e-mail and must travel to Brownfield for an in-person interview. Please note, travel expenses for in-person interviews cannot be reimbursed.