Position: Assistant County & District Attorney – Civil Attorney
Employer: Ellis County & District Attorney’s Office
Location: Waxahachie, Texas
Start date: January 1, 2021
The civil division of the Ellis County & District Attorney’s Office is a team of highly experienced attorneys who engage in a wide range of legal activities. Each member of the team provides a unique skill set and specific area of expertise. This position is responsible for providing support to all of those activities, to varying degrees, while also assuming primary responsibility in specific areas.
• responding to requests for public information
• reviewing and filing applications for protective orders in cases of domestic abuse
• reviewing and filing applications for mental health commitments
• advising county departments on matters of growth, development, and code enforcement
• litigating on behalf of Ellis County and its elected officials, and supporting outside counsel in
• appearing in state and federal court on behalf of Ellis County and its elected officials
• acting as legal liaison between Ellis County and its insurance carriers
• reviewing and preparing contracts
• reviewing and assessing purchasing issues
• handling asset and bond forfeitures
• providing legal advice to the Ellis County Commissioners Court and all other elected officials
• advising the Ellis County Bail Bond Board
• providing occasional, spot relief to the office’s CPS attorney and juvenile prosecutor
Candidates must have excellent communication skills and a demonstrated proficiency for legal research and writing. They must also have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with the public, elected officials, and department directors.
• Graduate of an accredited law school, currently licensed to practice law in the State of Texas and in good standing with the State Bar.
• Must be able to conduct self in a professional manner and develop and maintain good working relationships with visitors, clients, co-workers, attorneys, judges and county officials.
• Must be able to pass a thorough background check.
• Must be able to work independently while also being a team player.
Candidates with professional experience in Texas county government law are strongly preferred.
Annual Salary: $95,510.10
Send resume, cover letter, writing sample, and references via email only to:
Ellis County & District Attorney’s Office
109 S. Jackson
Waxahachie, TX 75165
Phone: (972) 825-5035