The County District Attorney’s Office in Aransas County (Rockport, Texas) is seeking applications for an open full-time felony prosecutor position. The successful candidate will have a high degree of technical competence, efficiency, and integrity and be responsible for handling an active felony caseload—including presenting cases to the Grand Jury, and trying cases before juries and judges.
- hold a J.D. or L.L.B. degree from an ABA accredited law school and be a licensed attorney in good standing with the State Bar of Texas;
- have a minimum of two years of prosecutorial work, preferably with felony trial courtroom experience;
- exhibit a sense of duty for rendering justice;
- be experienced in all aspects of handling cases from beginning to end—including presenting them well in court, effectively communicating facts and precedents verbally and in writing;
- work well under pressure and exercise tact in trying situations while ensuring timely and appropriate case resolutions;
- be able to work independently but also be a team player who takes and gives direction well;
- possess a valid Texas driver’s license; and
- pass a thorough background check, pre-employment physical exam, and drug screening.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- evaluating criminal reports from law enforcement to determine whether they can be accepted as a case for prosecution or need additional information or further investigation;
- researching, preparing, and reviewing cases in order to effectively represent the State of Texas and victims of felony crimes;
- holding essential meetings with law enforcement officers, victims, witnesses, defendants, opposing counsel, and other court personnel;
- managing all assigned cases to ensure accurate and timely paperwork, negotiations, pleadings, motions, subpoenas, evidence, jury charges, and other legal instruments;
- being well-prepared so as to consistently satisfy deadlines while meeting office goals; and
- other related work assigned by County District Attorney.
This exempt position pays $64,000-$68,000 + benefits (e.g.: medical, retirement, State Bar dues and CLE, paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave). Interested candidates should submit their completed application (available online at http://www.aransascountytx.gov/main/docs/ACAPP_2013rev.pdf — please do not include the last page), cover letter, résumé, and references via email to:
Office & Contracts Manager
Aransas County District Attorney’s Office