District Attorney Tony Spaeth-Ahlschwede
452nd Judicial District
EDWARDS – KIMBLE – MASON – MENARD- MCCULLOCH COUNTIES PO Box 635
Mason, Texas 76856
NOTICE OF EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY Position: Assistant District Attorney – Border Prosecution Unit (BPU)
Salary: Up to $62,000 up to $120,000 depending upon qualifications
Job Description: Work on misdemeanors and felony border-related cases from investigation, grand jury, writs, motions, jury and non- jury trials, to appeals in the 452nd Judicial and other counties in Border Prosecution Unit and when necessary, detailed and travel to other counties in the State of Texas to assist in the prosecution of criminal cases. High stress environment with short deadlines.
Location: Employed by the 452nd Judicial District Attorney but will work under the direction of the District or County Attorney with jurisdiction if sent on temporary duty travel. Primary office location will be in 452nd District Attorney’s Office in Junction, Texas.
- Travel will be required and may be to remote locations. Travel expenses will be reimbursed, and occasional use of an office vehicle will be available.
- Must attend both virtual and in-person hearings and trials. These can be in crowded courtrooms or tent cities, and attendance is required regardless of vaccination or masking status.
- Assist in the management of all aspects of the BPU grant.
- Prepare/manage training for local law enforcement as necessary.
- Perform legal research for criminal prosecution.
- Screen felony and misdemeanors criminal cases.
- Advise law enforcement on criminal investigations and other legal issues.
- Conduct legal research on unusual criminal cases.
- Attend BPU training.
- Confer with law enforcement agencies, victims, and witnesses in regard to felony criminal cases.
- As delegated by the District Attorney, respond to correspondence from persons requesting information from the District Attorney’s Office.
- Read and keep current on all law changes.
- Handle civil/criminal trials/appeals as necessary.
- Visit crime scenes when necessary.
- Draft and prepare search warrants for law enforcement.
- Assist clerical staff as needed.
- Compile statistical reports and/or utilize the computer to process, retrieve and disseminate information.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Will be present in the office Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8-5, unless working on assignment.
- Will be “on call” 24 hours / day, 365 days a year.
Required Qualifications: J.D. or L.L.B. degree from an accredited law school and licensed to practice law in Texas.
Preferred Qualifications: Trial experience in Texas Courts. At least 3 years of work experience as an attorney. Ability to read and write the Spanish language.
Work to Begin: ASAP
Application Deadline: Open until filled Qualified individuals may apply by submitting a resume to BOTH of the following email addresses: [email protected] and [email protected] Recommendations accepted, but not required. References are required. All employees are expected to conform to the employment policies of Mason County and the 452nd District Attorney’s Office.