VAL VERDE COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY
DEPARTMENT: District Attorney
LOCATION: 209 E. Losoya, Del Rio, Texas
JOB TITLE: Assistant District Attorney – BPU
FLSA TYPE: Exempt
REPORTS TO: District Attorney
HOURS WORKED: 40/WEEK (Full Time)
Under the direction of the elected District Attorney, The duties of an attorney employed as an assistant district attorney for the Border Prosecution, as generally described in Tex. Gov’t Code § 772.001 et. seq., which shall be to assist border prosecutors and regional counsel, as needed, in the prosecution of border crime. This position is funded by the Governor’s Office and the employment is for approximately one (1) years contingent on grant renewal. The Regional Border Prosecutor serves as a liaison between the various District Attorneys’ offices in the region, the Texas Department of Public Safety (“DPS”) and other criminal justice entities in the region; provides technical and legal assistance and training to criminal investigators from the TDPS and other law enforcement agencies within the region; prosecutes cases involving border crimes in any jurisdiction within the region and within BPU counties; and assists other Border Prosecutors.
- Assist other District Attorneys and their assistants in the Border Prosecution Unit (sometimes referred to herein collectively as “Border Prosecutors”) in the prosecution of cases;
- Screen cases;
- Present cases to a grand jury;
- Participate in the preparation and trial of cases;
- Serve as a liaison between the district attorneys’ offices and other criminal justice entities;
- Work closely with the command staff, field supervisors and agents of the Texas Department of Public Safety, as well as other local law enforcement agencies within the region;
- Work closely with federal prosecutors and federal law enforcement agents within the region, as needed;
- Attend as a Border Prosecution Unit representative at various law enforcement meetings, multi-agency task forces, and staff meetings with local, state, and federal entities;
- Provide technical and legal assistance to investigative personnel;
- Provide legal advice, opinions and recommendations to investigative personnel in the areas of search and seizure issues, statutes and case law, and case presentations;
- Review affidavits by investigative personnel requesting the issuance of search warrants, wiretap orders, pen register and trap and trace orders, mobile tracking device orders, and other similar court orders;
- Request court orders authorizing investigative personnel to intercept oral, wire, and electronic communications; install and use a pen register and trap and trace device; the disclosure of subscriber records and information; and other similar orders that are required to be made by a prosecutor;
- Coordinate training for border prosecutors and law enforcement personnel;
- Help constituent offices and agencies identify training needs at the regional level;
- Help develop training curricula and training guides for prosecutors and investigative personnel;
- Participate in regional training presentations and/or host regional training sessions for border prosecutors and law enforcement personnel;
- Provide legal and technical expertise to other border prosecutors;
- Perform complex legal research relating to all aspects of investigating and prosecuting border crimes, as requested;
- Coordinates with other border prosecutors and criminal justice personnel to identify subject matter experts in the investigation and prosecution of complex, long-term cases against organized criminal enterprises; Commits self to providing excellent customer service and demonstrate commitment through cooperative team and individual efforts; and
- Perform related work as required. (Position may not include all the duties listed, nor do the examples cover all the duties, which may be performed or supervised.)
- Prepare grant application and reports.
- Submit grant proposal to grant review committee and county commissioners.
- Complete purchase orders through the county under grant.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Knowledge of: English usage, grammar, punctuation and spelling; techniques for effective interpersonal communications; modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment to include Windows and Microsoft based products. Skill/Ability to: complete projects on time and within budget; operate personal computer using standard office operating software and general office equipment; prepare and maintain records, maintain filing systems, compile and organize information; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; promote program activities; make mathematical computations; prepare clear, concise and comprehensive written reports, and staff studies; schedule, supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff; and establish and maintain cooperative and effective relationships with those contacted during the course of work; demonstrate capacity to function with minimal supervision in a highly demanding environment; must exhibit the ability to work in a supportive and professional manner with other attorneys, support staff and client agencies.
Graduate of an accredited law school and currently licensed to practice law in the State of Texas. Position requires legal skills, analytical thinking, articulate writing and verbal skills, interpersonal relations, negotiating and organizational skills. Attorney in good standing with and licensed by the State Bar of Texas. Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and no criminal convictions.
Lifting: Continuous: upward and downward flexion of the neck. Frequent: sitting, repetitive use of hands to operate computers, printers and copiers. Occasional: walking, standing, bending and twisting of neck, bending and twisting of waist, squatting, simple grasping, reaching above and below shoulder level, and lifting and carrying of files weighing up to 10 pounds.
Travel: Travel within the BPU regions and the state to attend mandatory BPU meetings and training sessions, and to assist other border prosecutors; Applicants must also have the ability to travel frequently throughout the border region.