FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Kaufman County Criminal District Attorney’s Office
Location: Kaufman Courthouse
Salary: $88,000 – $91,000
Supervisor: District Attorney
Close: Until Filled
This position requires a thorough knowledge of criminal prosecution and court procedures. This position is responsible for handling felony legal matters and trying felony cases in District Court. This position is also a supervisor, responsible for monitoring and evaluating the work of other prosecuting attorneys and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performing all aspects of prosecution of felony offenses, which includes case screening, preparation of pleadings, motions, affidavits, warrants, and other paperwork as necessary, witness preparation, securing and gathering of evidence, and representation of the State of Texas in pretrial proceedings, as well as in criminal bench trials and jury trials in District Courts
- Supervising prosecuting attorneys and staff, which includes prioritizing and assigning work, conducting performance evaluations, ensuring employees are adequately trained, and guaranteeing employees are following office policies and procedures
- Formulating and communicating plea offers in felony cases
- Working with judges, court staff, law enforcement officers, defense attorneys, pro se defendants (when permissible by law), victims, witnesses, and office staff in the preparation and prosecution of criminal litigation
- Conducting legal research as necessary to effectively represent the State of Texas in felony criminal cases
- Advising law enforcement agencies and officers on issues of criminal law and criminal procedure
- Answering inquiries from the public and other governmental agencies regarding the duties of the District Attorney’s office
- Performing other duties as assigned by the District Attorney
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Must have a J.D. or equivalent degree from an accredited law school
- Five (5) years of felony prosecution experience required
- Significant felony jury trial experience preferred
- Experience managing other prosecutors preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of criminal prosecution, law enforcement, and court procedures
- Ability to prepare and analyze comprehensive legal documents
- Ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, county officials, the court system, and the general public
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints
- Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style
- Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and jury panels
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to use a personal computer, including word processing and spreadsheet programs, calculator, telephone, copy machine, and fax machine
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must be currently licensed to practice law in the State of Texas
- Must be an active member and in good standing with the Texas State Bar Association
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Employee may occasionally be required to lift, carry, push, pull, or move objects weighing up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work is primarily indoors in an environmentally controlled, smoke free office.
**Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.