There is an opening in the General Litigation Division of the Harris County District Attorney’s Office for a Felony #2 prosecutor. The ADAs in the General Litigation Division advise the staff on various legal issues and handle civil litigation, records requests, expunctions, fugitive proceedings and hearings involving Brady issues, out of state witnesses, contempt proceedings and other issues.
General knowledge of Texas criminal justice system is important. Some civil litigation, Public Information Act, and/or research and writing skills are a plus.
• Representation of the District Attorney in litigation, including:
o Representation of individual members of the staff in civil litigation in state and federal court.
o Representation of the District Attorney and the Harris County District Attorney’s Office in civil
litigation in state and federal court.
o Representation of the District Attorney in federal habeas corpus proceedings.
o Mandamus or other special appeals.
o Representation of the State in criminal contempt prosecutions – both as prosecutors and defense of
o Representation of the State in judicial recusal hearings.
• Management of the District Attorney’s records
• Representation of the State in out-of-state fugitive extradition proceedings
• Processing out-of-state witness subpoena requests
• Representation of the District Attorney in state district court proceedings to expunge arrest and prosecution records, or oppose such. This includes screening and guidance for defense attorneys and pro se petitioners and handling any appeals that stem from State District Court proceedings.
• Other duties as assigned.