Employer: Galveston County Criminal District Attorney’s Office
Location: Galveston, TX
The Galveston County Criminal District Attorney’s Office has an opening for a prosecutor in its Juvenile Division effective January 18th, 2022.
Major duties include:
- Tries cases before jury or Judge.
- Performs a variety of complex, independent duties in conjunction with court trials, including performing discovery, evaluating legal theories and principles, performing research, etc.
- Offers pleas to juvenile respondents on juvenile matters.
- Screens cases; reads offense reports to determine if a crime has been committed and prepares narrative for the charging information.
- Advises law enforcement as to the proper procedure in juvenile matters.
- Coordinates with the Juvenile Probation Department in reviewing and filing Original Petitions and Motions to Revoke.
- Enters pleas before the Judge and/or Juvenile Referee.
- Participates and assists in pre-trial preparations.
- Performs other complex legal functions in a specific, assigned legal area to include misdemeanors, felonies, protective orders, child in need of supervision.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the purposes, principles, terminology, and practices employed in family, civil, and criminal law, the legal system, and the judicial process.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the ethical principles of law.
- Graduation from an accredited school of law.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Current membership in the State Bar of Texas.
Starting salary is $68,369 – $77,000, depending on experience.
Submit resumes and references via email or mail to:
600 59th Street, Suite 1001
Galveston, Texas 77551