Salary $27.68 Hourly
Location Corpus Christi, TX
Job Type Full-Time
Department DISTRICT ATTORNEY
Job Number 19-00168
Closing 7/22/2019 11:59 PM Central
Screens cases for legal sufficiency of charges; and/or prepares cases for which the District Attorney’s office has responsibility for prosecution and/or court hearings. Presents and/or prosecutes cases in Justice of the Peace Courts and/or County Courts-at-Law.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Screens and reviews simple cases to determine the legal and factual sufficiency of the case.
- Seeks and receives assistance with more complex matters.
- Conducts investigations and negotiations to determine recommendations for court action.
- Performs legal research necessary for misdemeanor criminal prosecutions.
- Prepares cases for trial; researches and briefs areas of the law specifically related to the case(s) and to any potential appeal.
- Assures the issuance or creation of related legal documents including subpoenas, motions, writs, warrants and other related documents.
- Confers with supervisor, defense attorneys, investigators, law enforcement officials, victims, witnesses and other parties concerning assigned cases.
- Prosecutes cases before appropriate court and/or jury.
- Responds to correspondence from persons making inquiry to or requesting information from the department.
- May conduct juvenile hearings or state mental commitment hearings.
- Assists clerical and legal secretarial staff as needed. May assign and review the work of clerical and secretarial staff on the processing of an assigned case. Confers with paralegals regarding assigned cases.
- Compiles statistical reports.
- Utilizes the computer to process, retrieve and disseminate information.
- Prosecutes cases or assists in the prosecution of cases in Justice of the Peace Courts and/or County Courts-at-Law.
- Interviews witnesses and prepares clients for court hearings.
- May write appellate briefs.
- Performs criminal intake including reviewing files, interviewing complainants or victims and performing investigations.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
J.D. or L.L.B. degree from an accredited law school and at least one year
of work experience as an attorney.
Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities, may be considered for current Nueces County employees only.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
License from the Texas State Bar to practice law in the State of
Texas. Current Texas Operator’s License. Attorneys use their own
private vehicles, rather than County cars.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Good working knowledge of judicial principles, criminal law principles, Texas Family Code, Texas Code of Criminal Procedures, Texas Penal Code and Public Law.
- Ability to develop research methods and perform legal research.
- Ability to receive and follow general instructions and make decisions.
- Ability to consult knowledgeably with people.
- Ability to analyze facts, procedures and legal precedent.
- Ability to present facts and precedents effectively in court and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other county employees and officials, court personnel, other attorneys and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to present cases effectively before courts and/or juries.
- Ability to operate a computer to process and retrieve data and information.
Available benefits as a Nueces County employee:
Group Insurance Benefits
Health Insurance – Aetna
Dental Insurance – optional
Vision Insurance – optional
Short and Long-term Disability Insurance – optional
Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Flexible health and dependent day care accounts
Retirement program – TCDRS
Deferred Compensation 457
Paid time off – Vacation, Sick leave, Holidays
Education Assistance Program
901 LEOPARD STREET
Corpus Christi, Texas, 78401
Website (to apply – follow link): www.nuecesco.com