District Attorney’s Office—El Paso
Position: Assistant District Attorney (Trial Attorney)—Misdemeanor Section (5 vacancies)
Salary: $61,939 to $80,895 per year depending on experience plus El Paso County benefits. Texas District and County Retirement System member. El Paso County has an attorney salary plan which provides for step increases upon an annual competent evaluation when steps are permitted by the Commissioners Court.
- As assigned, reviews Misdemeanor/Felony case facts for legal sufficiency; drafts motions and prepares legal documents.
- Researches criminal statutes and case law in course of representing the State on cases in court.
- Examines video, written reports & statements, and physical case evidence to prepare cases for presentation and disposition in court.
- Confers with defense attorneys regarding case information and defendant pleadings.
- Confers with law enforcement agencies regarding case investigations and trial preparation.
- Confers with witnesses regarding case preparation and testimony.
- Must be willing to take cases to trial in court before juries or the judge. Represents the State of Texas in all legal actions on cases to which assigned.
- Edits legal documents prepared by support staff.
- Independent judgment is required to fully understand and interpret time sensitive materials and issues presented for review to the District Attorney’s Office.
- Must have diplomacy skills as position requires the individual to have frequent contact with the general public, crime victims, law enforcement agencies, defense attorneys, other El Paso County Departments, and outside organizations.
- Sound judgment is required when exercising prosecutorial discretion.
- Sound Judgment is required in selecting appropriate procedures to follow when providing administrative direction and support within and outside the District Attorney’s Office.
- Position requires adherence to proper security and handling of confidential information. Job responsibilities include frequent handling of confidential legal information and documents.
- Must be willing to make a minimum three year commitment to remain with the District Attorney’s Office for the 34thJudicial District of Texas while in good standing with the office.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
- J.D. from accredited law school
- Must be licensed to practice law in Texas
- Must be in good standing with the State Bar of Texas and any other State or Federal bar memberships
- Must apply through Job Posting on the El Paso County, Texas website (http://www.epcounty.com/) We can only consider applications obtained through the El Paso County website. Do not send applications or resumes directly to our office.
- Go to El Paso County, Texas website and click on “Careers” on the right side of the page.
- Click on “View Job Openings” (the blue tab at the bottom of the page).
- Apply under job posting entitled “DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE – TRIAL ATTORNEY” by clicking on the posting and clicking on “Apply” (green tab at the top); Follow instructions for applying. This page also contains a job descriptions and a benefits tab where you can get a brief description of El Paso County benefits.
- Must attach a cover letter, resume, and list of references to the application.
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
Contact: Karen Larose
First Assistant District Attorney
District Attorney’s Office -34th Judicial District
500 E. San Antonio Street, 2nd Floor
El Paso, TX 79901
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (915) 546-2059, Ext. 2063
FAX: (915) 533-5520