The University of Texas System
The University of Texas System Office of General Counsel seeks an experienced attorney to provide advice, counsel, and representation on a wide variety of legal matters.
The selected candidate will join the General Law practice group and report to the Senior Associate General Counsel & Managing Attorney for General Law. Within the legal oversight responsibilities delegated by the Board of Regents to the Vice Chancellor & General Counsel, the candidate will provide legal advice, representation and counsel on matters as diverse as employment law, constitutional law, tort, insurance, Title IX and higher education law (including student affairs law).
- Provide legal oversight, advice, counsel, representation and training on topics such as employment law, constitutional law, tort, insurance, Title IX and higher education law (including student affairs law).
- Prepare legal documents.
- Conduct legal research and provide oral and written legal advice.
- Manage litigation involving UT employees and institutions.
- Collaborate with attorneys from the Texas Attorney General’s Office, outside counsel, and campus-based attorneys.
- Interpret, review and revise administrative policies; review and advise on proposed legislation.
- Communicate regularly with clients, colleagues and supervisors concerning assigned matters.
- Work both independently and collaboratively, with a strong orientation toward teamwork.
- Attend work regularly. Travel out of town and overnight, as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association.
- Admission to Texas Bar, or for out-of-state applicants licensed in another jurisdiction, Admission without Examination within one year of hire date.
- At least 10 years’ experience as a licensed attorney.
- Effective written/oral communication skills and ability to manage a broad range of complex issues in a collaborative environment.
- Knowledge of legal principles applicable to Texas state government agencies.
- Experience representing institutions of higher education, systems of higher education and/or similarly complex and decentralized entities.
To view the posting and apply, please visit https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/human-resources/prospective-employees/career-opportunities. With any questions, please contact Tamra English at [email protected].