CITY OF ARLINGTON, TX
THIS POSITION WILL CLOSE ON 2/13/2022.
SALARY: 62,320.00 – 77,900.00 Salary USD
Under general supervision and direction is responsible for performing legal research; drafting legal opinions, legal memoranda, and other legal documents; advising city employees and officials regarding city legal matters; investigating claims and complaints made against the City; representing the City in legal proceedings; and in some instances, prosecuting violators of City ordinances.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Researches, prepares and litigates civil lawsuits for the City and prosecutes violators in municipal court.
- Reviews, collects and prepares suits for the collection of assessments and other claims of the City.
- Prepares and submits written reports to the City Attorney on proposed legislation, progress reports, legal opinions, current lawsuits and contingent lawsuits.
- Aids in the preparation of ordinances and resolutions.
- Conducts initial interviews with claimants and city officials, recommends actions to be taken.
- Conducts legal research regarding the consequences of various municipal government functions and prepares opinions for review by the City Attorney.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Reviews Open Records requests to timely respond or request an Attorney General opinion.
- Provides training and legal updates to City departments on behalf of City Attorney.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, codes and statutes.
- Skill in communicating orally and in writing in order to prepare legal documents and to counsel and represent the City before administrative and judicial bodies.
- Skilled in public speaking and able to teach and train City officials and the public on matters of legal importance.
- Ability to analyze and apply legal principles and precedents to local governments.
- Ability to develop alternative solutions to problems, to evaluate courses of action, to reach appropriate decisions and to counsel/guide individuals.
Qualifying Education and Experience:
License to practice law in the State of Texas. These knowledge, skills and abilities may be demonstrated by a J.D. degree and preferably (but not required) six months to one year as a practicing attorney.
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal History Check.
All applicants must apply online at http://www.arlington-tx.gov