THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED!
SALARY: $76,580.00 – $95,725.00 Salary USD
Under general supervision and direction is responsible for performing legal research; drafting legal opinions, legal memoranda, and other legal documents; advising city employees and officials regarding city legal matters; investigating claims and complaints made against the City; representing the City in legal proceedings; and in some instances, prosecuting violators of City ordinances.
JOB SUMMARY: Entry-level attorney position, working under guidance of supervisory staff to provide legal assistance to the City on a variety of legal matters. Attorney typically has a limited scope of responsibility but will work to gain experience and knowledge to potentially advance within the City Attorney’s Office. Attorney may be assigned to one of three primary areas of practice: Municipal Law, Litigation and Employment or Public Safety.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Conduct legal research to provide legal opinions and advice on various legal and policy matters.
- Prosecute misdemeanor criminal and civil violations in municipal court, including both bench and jury trials, and assist with pre-trial dispositions.
- Represent the City in administrative hearings.
- Review requests under the Texas Public Information Act and responsive records to timely respond or request an Attorney General Opinion.
- Assist with civil litigation defense, primarily in personal injury cases, including drafting pleadings, discovery responses, and motions.
- Assistance with employee disciplinary investigations (including Internal Affairs reports) and defense of employee disciplinary actions at various hearings including third party arbitration.
- Assist in the drafting of ordinances, resolutions, and policies.
- Assist with reviewing and drafting contracts, agreements, deeds and other legal documents.
- Provide training to departments and legal updates on relevant legal issues on behalf of the City Attorney.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain license to practice law in Texas by completing required Continuing Legal Education and staying in good standing with the Texas Bar.
- Meet and maintain qualifications for Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) access.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
In addition to the specific job functions above, all attorneys must be able to:
- Locate and analyze applicable statutes, policies, and rules.
- Perform legal research on a variety of platforms.
- Stay current on laws applicable to their area of practice.
- Effectively use technology, including but not limited to Microsoft applications.
- Summarize legal issues orally or in writing in a concise and professional manner.
- Communicate comfortably with a wide variety of individuals and be proficient at public speaking.
- Multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Be comfortable with sensitive or potentially sensitive information and exercise good judgment and discretion when discussing the information.
- Make in-person court appearances when required.
- Develop alternate solutions to problems.
- Cross-train, assist, or assume the duties of the other similarly classed attorney positions as operational needs arise.
- Work in an office environment with other attorneys and staff or work in a workspace located in another City department.
- Have a working knowledge of the organizational structure of the City of Arlington and its leadership.
Qualifying Education and Experience:
- J.D. from an accredited law school and a current license to practice law in the State of Texas, in good standing is required.
Employment Screening Required:
- Criminal Background Check
All applicants must apply online at http://www.arlington-tx.gov