Program: Legal Services
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Supervisor: Sr. Director of Legal Services
Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support provides safety, shelter and support for women who have experienced domestic violence and their children. All of the services at Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support are confidential and no cost. Through every effort we put forth we work to end the epidemic of domestic violence by raising awareness against its cause, prevalence and impact.
Your role will support the mission thorough the following actions:
- Support a client centered operations with a mindset of care, compassion, and humility.
- Be aware of Client/Student(s) special circumstances (e.g. health concerns, peak stress time, emotional difficulties, problems…etc…)
- At times require you to be resourceful and have the ability to make decisions in a timely efficient manner using the training and guidance you have been given.
- Recognize that diversity of culture, personality, and life experience are ingredients for a better world.
- Demonstrates experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Communicate with Client(s) and team member(s) with a positive and willingness attitude to help
- Flexibility to learn at all times and recover with poise and ease from setbacks.
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality standards of the organization.
- Provide a warm and welcoming, safe space for the families we serve.
- Independently manage time with little supervision
- Ability to multitask, handle on-site crisis and adapt to the changing needs of the families we serve with compassion and humility.
- Acceptance of agency philosophies regarding domestic violence, internal conflict resolutions, and how decisions are made
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed
- Commitment to a holistic approach to providing services, as well as to community-based solutions for addressing the root causes of violence and survivor needs
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus, and motivate change
Your responsibilities are:
Genesis Women’s Shelter seeks a dynamic, self starting attorney who has vision, initiative, and a demonstrated commitment to public interest law to fill a position with a principal focus on family law issues. In addition to providing daily representation in civil legal matters, the successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to identifying and taking advantage of opportunities for strategic advocacy and to engaging in outreach to and collaboration with victims of family violence. Genesis seeks a staff attorney who has experience with or has demonstrated a comfort with solo practice addressing a wide variety of services while working on cases involving family violence, sexual assault, divorce and child custody.
- Represent clients in court and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government.
- Handle a caseload involving substantial litigation and other justice-related advocacy
- Support cases by gathering evidence, advise clients about their rights, draft legal documents, and conduct civil lawsuits from beginning to end.
- Conduct interviews with clients and witnesses with cultural competence, as well as handle other tasks in representing clients and the agency.
- Responsibility to interprets laws, rulings and regulations for client’s best interest
- Supervisor and coordinate activities of legal, clerical, volunteer, or student workers.
- Provide high-quality representation to clients who are survivors of domestic violence in accordance with agency policies and procedures and will an attorney’s responsibilities under the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct, the Texas Lawyer’s Creed, and the American Bar Association’s Standards for Providers.
- Licensed to practice in Texas.
- Minimum of 3 years’ direct family law experience including divorce, protective order, and custody.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) ability required
- Ability to work in a solo practitioner atmosphere and paralegal support
- Sophisticated understanding of criminal law related to Domestic Violence is strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal skills required
Qualified candidates can apply online by clicking here.