Established in 1900, Fate, Texas, is a picturesque city with a small-town feel but big city amenities. It has been said that “Fate is one of the best reasons you want to move to Texas.” Fate is centrally located in the heart of Rockwall County, one of the most affluent counties in Texas. Fate’s population has a comparatively high level of education and per capita income according to the American Community Survey (ACS). Downtown Dallas is a 28-mile drive to the west with Interstate 30 as the primary connection between Fate and DFW metroplex.
The City Council seeks an individual who is willing to make a long-term commitment to the City, and who will become personally invested in the community. The chosen candidate will be well-versed in municipal law and other state and federal laws applicable to municipalities. The new City Attorney must have the skills and experience necessary to handle most legal matters but also know when it is necessary to seek the assistance of outside counsel. The ideal candidate will also be proactive in anticipating issues and opportunities rather than only reacting to current issues.
• Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
• Must be licensed to practice law in Texas by State Bar of Texas and be in good standing or demonstrate the ability to be so within the City’s probationary period.
• A minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of experience practicing municipal law, preferably working in a municipal government setting and working directly with local governing bodies.
• A combination of education, training and experience providing the required knowledge, skills to successfully perform the essential duties of the job may be considered.
• Familiarity with the issues facing high growth communities and a strong knowledge base of land use and economic development law.
The hiring range for this position is $165,000-$195,000 per year. This is an appointed position with an employment contract.
For more information on this position contact:
Jay Singleton, Senior Vice President