FORT BEND COUNTY
DEPARTMENT: COUNTY ATTORNEY’S OFFICE
JOB TITLE: CIVIL ATTORNEY – GENERAL COUNSEL
Fort Bend County is ranked as one of the fastest growing counties in the nation. We have capitalized on not only the creed of our location, but on the “quality of life” for our families to call home. Our employees are the key to our success and the heartbeat of our foundation. The diversity and inclusivity of our community is our strength and at the forefront of a workplace environment welcoming to all. Live Here! Work Here!
Provides legal counsel to elected officials and department heads to protect the county from civil liability and to ensure that actions undertaken by representatives of the county are in accordance with applicable laws. Participates in planning of programs, policies or objectives for own work group and department.
- DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represents Fort Bend County in general civil matters/civil actions, as required.
- Drafts and reviews legal documents such as contracts, agreements, policies and resolutions and may participate in negotiations related to such documents. Conducts legal research.
- Issues legal opinions to elected officials and directors/managers.
- Appears in court for hearings, as needed.
- Other duties as determined by the County Attorney.
- Participates in activities and duties related to emergency management during a local state of disaster as directed by appropriate county managers.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence; Licensed by the Texas Supreme Court.
- Four years job related experience required.
- Strong verbal and written communication and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal effectively with the public, elected officials and department directors/managers.
- Desirable experience areas include government, Public Information Act, real estate and employment law.
- Valid Driver’s License.
SALARY RANGE: $47.84 – $59.80 hourly based on qualifications
CLOSING DATE: October 7, 2023
To be considered for employment, all interested candidates must complete the required Fort Bend County online employment application located at www.fortbendcounty.jobs
All full-time and part-time employees are members of the Texas County District Retirement System (TCDRS). Full-time employees also enjoy a wide-range of great benefits.
Fort Bend County is an equal opportunity employer, committed to non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, religion or creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy status (including childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected military and veteran status, political affiliation or beliefs, or any other classification protected by state, federal and local laws, unless such classification is a bona fide occupational qualification.
For more information on Fort Bend County’s Title VI / Nondiscrimination Statement, visit www.fbctx.gov/comply
Fort Bend County is committed to providing equal opportunity and reasonable accommodations to employees with disabilities. FBC complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state and local laws regarding disability discrimination and accommodation.
Job No: 2023-5350