DEPUTY CITY ATTORNEY – PUBLIC SAFETY
THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED!
SALARY: $100,107.00 – 150,161.00 Salary USD
Under general direction, this position will determine the assignment of legal matters to attorneys, outside counsel and support staff based upon legal deadlines, operational demands, organizational needs and priorities. Additionally, will monitor progress to ensure deadlines complied and organizational needs and objectives met, and will work within City Attorney’s Office, with outside counsel and with other departments to coordinate and meet strategic demands of operations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Ability to research and draft various legal documents, including but not limited to: City ordinances, resolutions, criminal complaints, deeds, contracts, pleadings, discovery and discovery responses, motions, and appellate briefs; and the ability to appear on behalf of the City in municipal court, state court, federal court, and other administrative tribunals.
2. Ability to conduct legal research, provide legal advice, conduct interviews and investigations, and communicate legal options to the City Attorney, City Council, City Boards and Commissions, and City staff.
3. Ability to specialize in and provide subject matter expertise within the department, to City Management, City Council, and Department Heads in two or more or more of the following areas of law: eminent domain, real estate transactions, contracts, litigation, tort claims, civil rights law, constitutional law, police matters, construction claims, land use, telecommunication/franchising, utilities. employee/labor relations, economic development, open government, public information, prosecution, criminal law, nuisance abatement, code enforcement, elections, ethics, civil service, meet and confer, and collections.
4. Ability to supervise and delegate the planning, directing, investigating, researching, determining alternative strategies and developing recommendations concerning legal matters involving the City; oversee day-to-day functions of legal staff (attorneys and support staff); and plan for the long-term functioning of the division through selection, training, evaluating and directing the work of staff members to accomplish departmental and organizational objectives.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
5. Ability to follow legislative trends and changes and evaluate their impact on areas of specialization and the City.
6. Attend public meetings.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, codes, statutes, constitutions, charters, regulations, case law, and municipal law principles.
- Advanced knowledge of functions and operations of municipal government.
- Skill in analyzing and applying legal principles and precedents to local governmental problems.
- Skill in communicating orally and in writing in order to prepare legal documents and represent the City in legal matters.
- Skill in negotiation and advocacy.
- Skill in civil trial for Litigation section head.
- Ability to develop alternative solutions to problems to evaluate courses of action to reach appropriate decision and to counsel/guide individuals.
- Ability to effectively coordinate and supervise the work of professionals.
- Ability to work independently on complex cases and effectively allocate and manage legal resources.
Qualifying Education and Experience:
Juris Doctor Degree from an accredited law school is required; plus a minimum of 8 years as a practicing attorney with 5 years of specialization in one of the following areas of law routinely practiced in the City Attorney’s Office, including but not limited to: general litigation, police legal advisor, contracts, construction claims, land use, municipal prosecution, economic development, telecommunications/franchising, eminent domain, real estate and labor/employment. License to practice law in the State of Texas and in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
An offer of Employment is conditional upon satisfactory completion of a Criminal History Check. All applicants must apply online at http://www.arlington-tx.gov