Employer: Williamson County Attorney’s Office
Location: Georgetown, Texas
POSITION: Evidence Technician
Reporting directly to the Evidence Director, receives, maintains, and records media and documentary evidence received online and through paper records, oversees completion of all discovery requests, maintains online evidence depository through cloud environment, and maintains records of all office equipment.
- Determines case dispositions and archiving evidence files upon final disposition
- Assists law enforcement with evidence destruction requests
- Assists County Attorney staff with troubleshooting basic IT issues
- Assists public, defendants, attorneys, officers with playback issues
- Oversees the JP Court discovery process to include receiving, requesting, copying and disseminating documents and digital evidence pursuant to the Michael Morton Act
- Downloads, stores, extracts and burns to disc video from law enforcement agencies
- Copies, redacts, and converts video and audio files
- Assists prosecutor and/or investigator in developing court presentations by redacting and/or converting video into usable clips
- Assists with presenting audio/video evidence in County Courts, Justice of the Peace Courts, and Juvenile Courts and may assist with constructing trial exhibits using technology such as PowerPoint
- Prepares video and other media formats for internal training and presentation to the public
- Requests evidence from law enforcement agencies in response to discovery requests.
- Prepares written reports of evidence destruction lists
- Receive and process discovery requests daily from defense attorneys via online Discovery Portal
- Exercises time management skills & prioritizes tasks appropriately to allow for timely completion of job duties
- Communicates with defendants, internal staff, law enforcement agencies, attorneys and other officials
- Assists in the implementation and testing of new procedures as assigned by Evidence Director
- Maintains confidentiality and security of records and information
- Readily complies with departmental and county-wide policies and procedures
- Performs related special projects as assigned or other duties as assigned
- The physical demands and environmental factors listed below as well as regular attendance are also essential functions for this position
- Coordinates with evidence divisions of 25+ law enforcement agencies to request and receive thousands of pieces of evidence a year
- Assists defendants, defense attorneys, Juries and court staff with playing various media formats
- Maintains specialized software/hardware to store and import/export evidentiary items
- Education and experience equivalent to Associates degree in criminal justice, sociology, computer science, business administration, public safety or related field
- Six (6) months prior work experience with audio/video editing or computer equipment
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and Windows Environment
- Strong organizational skills and proven ability to maintain accurate, detailed records
- Able to work under pressure in a high-volume office, produce accurate work and meet established deadlines
- Possess or obtain a valid Texas driver’s license within 30 days of hire
- Possess and maintain a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: Mainly indoor activity. Significant contact with the public, crime victims, witnesses, persons accused/convicted of crimes, police officers, and other law enforcement /courthouse personnel.
About This Office
Williamson County is a medium size office serving approximately 28 law enforcement agencies including the City of Austin, Round Rock, Cedar Park and Georgetown. Health and retirement benefits provided through Williamson County.
To be considered, interested candidates must submit an Employment Application online only thru Williamson County Human Resources at
Not every applicant will be interviewed. No phone calls. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Employment is ALWAYS AT WILL of the County Attorney.