Department: Gregg County Criminal District Attorney’s Office – Felony
Position: Family Violence Prosecutor – Felony
Location: Longview, Gregg County, Texas
The District Attorney, Mr. Tom Watson, is seeking a dynamic and experienced prosecutor with a passion for trying family violence cases and seeking justice. This position requires a thorough knowledge of all phases of criminal prosecution and law enforcement procedures, has daily contact with the public, and is responsible for the intake, preparation, and trying of family violence cases.
- Screen incoming case reports from local agencies and present selected cases to the Grand Jury.
- Case preparation and evaluation, witness interviews, conferring with law enforcement and victims, drafting legal motions and correspondence, prepare for pre-trial hearings (motions for discovery, motions to suppress evidence, motions to revoke probation, etc.), and the negotiation of appropriate case resolutions.
- Prepare for and conduct trials (bench and jury).
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the law.
- Answer questions from law enforcement agencies and other community groups.
- The appropriate applicant must be diplomatic and respectful to others, use good judgment and common sense, and possess the skills needed to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the staff, other attorneys, law enforcement, and the community we serve.
Graduate of an accredited law school, currently licensed to practice law in the State of Texas and in good standing with the State Bar.
Must pass a criminal background check and the required drug screening.
Must be able to work independently while also being a team player.
2-3 years of felony trial experience preferred.
Salary: $63,512.89 (VAWA Grant)
Closing Date: Open until filled.
To Apply: Submit resume to the following:
Tom B. Watson: [email protected]
April Sikes: [email protected]