Position: First Assistant County & District Attorney
Employer: Ellis County & District Attorney’s Office
Location: Waxahachie, Texas
Date Open: January 1, 2021
The Ellis County & District Attorney’s Office is a team of highly experienced attorneys who engage in a wide range of legal activities. Each member of the team provides a unique skill set and specific area of expertise. This office handles all aspects of criminal prosecutions (Class C misdemeanors to Capitol Murder), Juvenile, CPS, and civil responsibilities for Ellis County.
• performing all aspects of criminal prosecution
• supervising prosecuting attorneys, including ensuring employees are adequately trained, and confirming employees are following office policies and procedures
• working with judges, court staff, law enforcement officers, defense attorneys, pro se defendants (when permissible), victims, witnesses, and office staff in the preparation and prosecution of criminal litigation
• advising law enforcement agencies and officers on issues of criminal law and procedure
• organizing and implementing law enforcement training
• assisting with implementation of Citizens Prosecutors Academy
• assisting with implementation of a Veteran’s Treatment Court
•performing other duties as assigned by the County and District Attorney
Candidates must have excellent communication skills and a demonstrated proficiency for legal research and writing. They must also have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with the public, elected officials, and department directors. The position requires the knowledge, judgment and acumen necessary to maintain the full efficiency of the Ellis County and District Attorney’s Office during those times the Elected County and District Attorney is out of the office for any reason.
• Graduate of an accredited law school, currently licensed to practice law in the State of Texas and in good standing with the State Bar.
• Significant managerial experience.
• Minimum of five (5) years of felony trial experience.
• Must be able to conduct self in a professional manner and develop and maintain good working relationships with visitors, clients, co-workers, attorneys, judges and county officials.
• Must be able to pass a thorough background check.
• Must be able to work independently while also being a team player.
Annual Salary: $115,000 – $124,000 depending on experience
Send resume, cover letter, writing sample, and references via email only to:
Ellis County & District Attorney’s Office
109 S. Jackson
Waxahachie, TX 75165
Phone: (972) 825-5035