HAYS COUNTY Job Posting
Job Title Hot Check Coordinator
Department Head Hays County District Attorney
Salary Range Minimum $36,164.06 – $54,245.52 Annual – Dependent on Experience
Job Number 202200132
Date Open June 22, 2022
Application Deadline Until Filled
In order to be considered for employment with Hays County submit the following documents:
• Hays County Application • Cover Letter • Resume
Find Hays County Employment Applications at: HaysCountywebsite–www.hayscountytx.com
Education and/or Experience
• High School diploma
• Completion of legal and or office procedures program or equivalent or two year’s experience in the legal or accounting related profession serving as a legal secretary, paralegal, bank clerk or related field.
Other Qualifications, Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• No Criminal History
• Must attend TLETS training if not currently certified
• Bilingual preferred (Spanish/English)
• Establishes and maintains communication with other law enforcement agencies and county departments.
• Manages caseload from intake to disposition with accuracy.
• Establishes and manages filing system.
• Prepares and submits daily deposits to the Hays County Treasurer.
• Receives intake from merchants
• Processes bad checks received by merchants for prosecution following established procedures.
• Assists merchants with questions regarding the status of their cases and informs them of policies and collection procedures.
• Assesses restitution payment plans within established parameters by the Criminal District Attorney and receives and posts payments.
• Negotiates with defendant to collect restitution for injured parties.
• Establishes payment amount and due dates. Explains consequences of failure to comply.
• Prepares restitution checks for merchants.
• Communicates with prosecutors, probation officers and other court personnel regarding account balances, information on account printouts, case dispositions and disbursement of restitution.
• Enters bad check information into record management system and maintains database.
• Prepares a variety of legal paperwork including case files, probation ledgers, warrants, dismissal forms, judgments, motions to revoke or adjudicate community supervision and plea papers, subpoenas, indictments and felony plea papers.
• Pulls and prepares files for weekly court docket; assists defense attorneys and Assistant Criminal District Attorneys in the courtroom; and serves as notary in court.
• Establishes best practice procedures to ensure complete dissemination of discovery and compliance with Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Article 39.14.
• Sets court dates with court coordinator.
• Refers cases to the Justice of the Peace offices for prosecution.
• Collects fees, balances cash drawers and prepares bank deposits.
• Researches and analyzes criminal history of all cases to locate prior convictions.
• Attends TLETS certification class to obtain/maintain license for accessing sensitive information including criminal history and driver’s license records.
• Researches and verifies information on TCIC for warrant validation.
• Maintains state standing of CJIS (Criminal Justice Information System) reporting completion to maintain funding, correct reporting for criminal histories, requesting and assigning TRNs, reporting online when necessary.
• Assists and directs the public by assessing their needs in order to route calls and in person traffic to the proper offices.
• Performs routine office procedures such as typing, filing, making copies, answering telephones, transferring calls, taking messages, and greeting the public.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Under general supervision, the Hot Check Coordinator performs a variety of administrative duties to assist the Hays County Criminal District Attorney’s office in the prosecuting bad check writers.
Individuals in this position serve at the pleasure of the current elected official.
Hays County is an EEO employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Hays County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of background checks, including reference checks, criminal history, and driver’s license checks and driving history.