HAYS COUNTY Job Posting
Job Title: Legal Assistant
Department Head: Hays County Criminal District Attorney
Salary Range Minimum: $36,164.06 – $54,245.52 Annual – Dependent on Experience
Job Number: 202200146
Date Open: July 15, 2022
Application Deadline: Until Filled
In order to be considered for employment with Hays County submit the following documents:
• Hays County Application • Cover Letter • Resume
Find Hays County Employment Applications at:
• Hays County website – www.hayscountytx.com
Education and/or Experience
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• Completion of legal secretary program or equivalent or two or more years of college preferred.
• Two years’ experience in the legal profession preferred serving as a legal secretary, paralegal, or a related position or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
Other Qualifications, Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Class C driver’s license.
• Bilingual preferred (Spanish and English).
• Attend and successfully complete TLETS training.
• Clear Criminal History required.
• Performs general clerical duties including answering the telephone, filing, and typing correspondence.
• Manages money orders and checks received in payment for discovery, including preparing receipts and accounting reports according to mandatory county policies.
• Establishes and manages electronic and physical filing system.
• Manages caseload from intake to closing with accuracy.
• Prepares and drafts orders, motions, judgments, petitions, and other legal documents.
• Processes computerized information on records systems such as Odyssey, Evidence.com, CIS, and Quetel with attention to detail and accuracy.
• Prepares criminal history rap sheet reports on the TLETS system in accordance with all guidelines laws and regulations required.
• Researches, interprets and analyzes criminal history data of defendants to locate and request prior conviction records.
• Attends TLETS certification class to obtain/maintain license for accessing sensitive information including criminal history and driver’s license records. • Maintains state standing of CJIS (Criminal Justice Information System) reporting completion to maintain funding.
• Maintains confidentiality and security of records and information.
• Establishes best practice procedures to ensure complete dissemination of Discovery and compliance with the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Article 39.14.
• Communicates with defense counsel, court and clerk staff, and law enforcement representatives as necessary to achieve justice.
• Aids assigned prosecutors with obtaining, disclosing, reviewing, and preparing evidence for trial and/or to satisfy statutory, ethical, and constitutional obligations.
• Logs and manages all evidence (photographs, video and audio recordings, documents, compact or digital versatile discs, and other physical items in the custody of the
Criminal District Attorney) for evidentiary purposes and for eventual provision in discovery to defense attorneys.
• Bilingual Assistants translate communications to Defendant’s regarding their case status and the legal documents to be filed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Under general supervision, the Legal Assistant performs a variety of administrative and clerical support functions for the Criminal District Attorney or Assistant Criminal District Attorney(s) to whom assigned. This position affects the accuracy, reliability, and acceptability of further processes and services.
Individuals in this position serve at the pleasure of the current elected official.
Hays County is an EEO employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Hays County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of background checks, including reference checks, criminal history, and driver’s license checks and driving history.