The Grand Prairie City Attorneys’ office is looking for an innovative and passionate municipal lawyer to be a part of its world-class team!
This position assists in providing a variety of legal services for the City of Grand Prairie, its departments and employees, but primarily acting as prosecutor in Grand Prairie Municipal Court.
Under the direction of the City Attorney, assists in providing a variety of legal services for the City of Grand Prairie, its departments and employees. The role in the Prosecution division is responsible for prosecuting Class C misdemeanors in Municipal Court. The role in the Civil Division is responsible for counseling and advising the Police Department and other City departments that have a criminal enforcement component, and drafting or reviewing contracts, PIA letters, and ordinances, attending boards and commission meetings, and occasionally representing the City in litigation. Both roles will also be required to assist in all other aspects of municipal law. Essential Job Functions
This information is intended to
be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The
following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single
This position has responsibilities that require lifting up to 10 pounds on occasion.
- (When assigned to Prosecution Division Attorney Functions):
- Represents the City in the filing and prosecution of all Class C violations by reviewing reports; preparing complaints; meeting with customers in court; reviewing the charges and advising them of options; explaining procedures of the case; interviewing witnesses; talking to police officers; filling out paperwork; trying the cases in court; and representing the City if the case is appealed.
- Provides information to other agencies and departments by providing information to defense attorneys; writing or making offers on the files; relaying offers to defense attorneys; answering questions from other departments; assisting on solving legal problems with other departments; and keeping police and others updated on any legal changes.
- Drafts reviews and updates by remaining current on changes or new information in the penal laws and City ordinances; reviewing complaints to determine if changes need to be made.
- Performs other duties as assigned by a supervisor/manager within department/division.
For more information, visit Grand Prairie City’s website HERE.