Position: Paid Post Bar Internship / Misdemeanor I Prosecutor – Supervised Practice Card
Employer: Ellis County & District Attorney’s Office
Location: Waxahachie, TX
The Ellis County & District Attorney has an immediate opening for a Paid Post Bar Intern/Misdemeanor Prosecutor who is eligible to work on a State of Texas Supervised Practice Card. This position will handle misdemeanor criminal cases, primarily in county courts at law, with occasional duties in Justice of the Peace courts, including Class C offenses and county code violation cases. This supervised post bar intern will work under the Chief of the Misdemeanor Division and perform the duties of a Misdemeanor I Prosecutor. After successfully passing the Texas Bar Examination and becoming licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, this post bar intern position will be eligible for the open Misdemeanor I Prosecutor position with our office.
Ellis County is a growing community just south of Dallas. The small-town atmosphere is a wonderful place to raise a family, while the 30-minute drive to downtown Dallas keeps big city amenities close at hand. Waxahachie, our county seat, is known as the Crape Myrtle Capital of Texas and is the host of music festivals, Christmas parades, and local shops and restaurants that surround our town square.
GROWTH AND OPPORTUNITY
Our office has developed a team of experienced prosecutors who are focused on training new prosecutors for long and successful careers in criminal law. We place an emphasis on our experience being available office-wide through a series of trainings. Our prosecutors also collaborate on a regular basis and encourage newer attorneys to ask questions and participate in discussions on felony cases.
• Reviews and processes the case packet for each criminal case filed by a police agency and initiates prosecution where appropriate.
• Reviews and processes case information in mental health and protective order cases, as well as cases in the Justice of the Peace courts.
• Attends docket calls, conducts plea bargain negotiations, is well prepared on assigned cases, makes decisions promptly and keeps abreast of the law.
• Is of extremely high integrity, professional demeanor and demonstrates proper respect to the court at all times.
• Reviews assigned cases, supervises support staff in preparation of paperwork, checks all pleadings for accuracy, makes timely applications for subpoenas and prepares and files motions promptly and accurately.
• Is available for consultations with court personnel, victims, witnesses, defendants, defense attorneys and other criminal justice personnel.
• Is responsible for all cases in his/her charge, including the security of the file; and properly documenting the case file along each step of the process, including final disposition
• Prepares cases for jury or bench trials, including pretrial motions, orders, interviewing witnesses, preparing trial notebooks and jury charges.
• Complies with and enforces the rules, regulations and policies of the County & District Attorney’s Office, the oral and written directives of his/her supervisors and the Texas Code of Professional Responsibility.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• Awaiting results from the most recent Texas Bar Exam.
• Meet state qualifications to obtain a Supervised Practice Card.
• Obtain and maintain a Supervised Practice Card while employed.
• Have the ability to analyze facts and case precedents and present them effectively in court.
• Be able to conduct self in a professional manner and develop and maintain good working relationships with visitors, clients, co-workers, attorneys, judges and county officials.
• Be able to pass a thorough background check.
• Be able to work independently while also being a team player.
Annual Salary: $58,339.34 – Post Bar Internship
Annual Salary: $77,785.79 – Misdemeanor I Prosecutor
Send resume, cover letter, and references via email only to:
Ellis County & District Attorney’s Office
109 S. Jackson
Waxahachie, TX 75165
Phone: (972) 825-5035