TDCAA is seeking applicants for our entry-level research attorney position. This is a two-year position modeled upon judicial clerkships. The annual salary is $55,000 (health plus benefits).
Basic Job Description
The research attorney’s primary responsibilities are to:
- research and respond to requests for legal assistance from prosecutors across the state; and
- generate, distribute, and archive the association’s case summaries.
In addition, the research attorney may be asked to:
- post updates to the TDCAA website;
- monitor and administrate TDCAA’s online discussion forums;
- write and edit articles for inclusion in TDCAA publications;
- present topics for MCLE credit at TDCAA seminars;
- respond to inquiries from non-member judges, law enforcement officers, legislators, or similar officials; and
- perform various other duties suitable for an entry-level position in a small law office.
- demonstrate an interest in prosecution as a profession;
- be a recent (within the last year) graduate of an accredited law school with a J.D. or equivalent degree; and
- either be:
- licensed to practice law in Texas and be in good standing with the State Bar; or
- awaiting results from taking the most recent Texas bar exam; or
- currently studying to take the next regularly scheduled Texas bar exam.
- be proficient in electronic legal research (such as Lexis/Nexis);
- be able to manage a considerable load of active research projects and consistently satisfy deadlines in the face of competing time demands;
- possess superior communications skills for dealing with co-workers, association members, and the general public in a professional and courteous manner;
- be prepared to submit to a background investigation or drug test, including a review of any criminal history information in the applicant’s past;
- be willing to commit to employment at TDCAA through December 2020 before seeking subsequent employment elsewhere; and
- not have any significant prior experience as a prosecutor or criminal defense attorney.
Interested candidates should email a letter of interest and resume in PDF format to Senior Staff Attorney Diane Beckham.