For the City of Arlington. THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED!
SALARY: 82,548.00 – 103,185.00 Salary USD
Under general direction, responsible for legal activities associated with two or more of the following areas: eminent domain, real estate transactions, contracts, general litigation, police advising, construction claims, land use, telecommunication/franchising, workers’ compensation, eminent domain, employee relations, economic development, open government, municipal court operations, and collections. Duties include research and development of recommended alternative courses of action or strategies, executing recommendations through appropriate channels, and providing counsel to all levels of City staff, management and Council.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Ability to plan, direct, investigate, research, determine alternative strategies and develop recommendations concerning legal matters involving the City of Arlington.
2. Ability to conduct negotiation, mediation, arbitration, trials and/or hearings representing the City in lawsuits, claims, contracts or franchises.
3. Ability to respond to legal matters or inquiries on the behalf of the City through the preparation of progress reports, briefs, motions, ordinances, etc.
4. Ability to provide counseling and/or training to all levels of City staff, management and Council.
5. Ability to select, train, evaluate and direct the work of staff members to accomplish departmental objectives.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
6. Ability to follow legislative and judicial trends and evaluate impact on City operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of federal, state, local and case law pertaining to areas of responsibility.
- Knowledge of functions and operations of municipal government.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local rules of court procedure.
- Skill in collecting and analyzing legal principles and precedents pertaining to local government problems/issues, preparing professional presentations and written reports, and making alternative recommendations to City management.
- Skill in communicating conceptual or informative ideas to others in written and oral form.
- Skill in conducting mediations, negotiations, arbitration or litigation.
- Ability to establish priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other departments, city employees, administrative officials and the general public.
- Ability to plan, organize, monitor and evaluate subordinate’s work assignments to accomplish departmental and City objectives.
- Ability to develop and present possible alternative methods for resolving issues that are logical and/or desirable solution to the problem.
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and discern intended meaning of communicator.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office preferred
Qualifying Education and Experience:
A Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited Law School. 5 years as a practicing attorney with 3 years specialization in one of the following: general litigation, police legal advisor, contracts, construction claims, land use, municipal prosecution, telecommunications/franchising, eminent domain, economic development, real estate, labor/employment. Current license to practice law in the State of Texas and in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
An offer of employment is conditional upon successful completion of the following: Criminal History Check.
All applicants must apply online at http://www.arlington-tx.gov