Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney Job Description
Title: Attorney VI, Senior (Civil)
Salary: $121,952.74 Annually
To Apply: Resumes and cover letters should be sent to: [email protected]
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS: (Responses MUST be submitted to apply)
- Do you have employment law experience? If so, please describe.
- Do you experience dealing with ADA issues, alleged Title VII violations, or the FMLA? If so, please describe.
- Do you have litigation experience in state court and/or federal court? If so, please describe.
Prosecute and defend all manner of civil and criminal matters in various levels of trial and appellate courts and administrative forums. Provide written or verbal legal advice to individual or governmental clients, and draft legal instruments or other written documents with legal implications. Investigate facts giving rise to legal issues and bring about solutions to clients’ legal problems in a variety of forums.
This licensed attorney regularly handles criminal and civil matters of great complexity and gravity and advises less experienced attorneys. Attorney has achieved expert knowledge and experience in their specific areas of practice and works under minimal supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Makes independent decisions on complex legal matters.
- Develops knowledge, skill, and expertise in applicable areas of law to keep pace with current developments, especially as related to legislative and case law changes.
- Advises highest level of elected and appointed officials regarding liability, duties, powers and constitutional and statutory limitation and requirements.
- Successfully litigates and negotiates many complex matters at the federal and state level.
- Designs and implements procedures to best achieve goals in specific area of expertise.
- Represents the county or client in state or county court, courts of appeals and federal courts.
- Provides advice, leadership and guidance to other attorneys, as appropriate.
- Recommends policies, procedures, practices and specific actions to best deal with critical issues, manages legal/financial risks and satisfies often-conflicting legal requirements.
- Establishes workable procedures to manage complex case load.
- Maintains daily contact with highest level officials in multiple offices with a variety of functions.
- Counsels officials during time critical crises.
- Prepares complex, creative, high quality and unique legal documents which come under public scrutiny.
- Issues written legal opinions to officials and seeks written opinions from the state Attorney General.
- Interacts with the highest level of public officials.
- Trains and instructs other lawyers, officials, and employees.
- Performs all other related duties, as assigned.
Juris Doctorate (JD) degree required. Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Texas and be a member in good standing of the State Bar of Texas. Admission to federal courts may be required. Board Certification in respective area of law is preferred. Extensive experience in the relevant area of law is required. Excellent working knowledge, understanding and ability to apply current applicable laws, procedures, current case holdings and departmental policies, is required, and proficient ability to apply such to decision making. Ability to work efficiently and effectively in high-pressure situations and excellent, advanced verbal and written communication is required evidenced by courtroom pleading/arguing skills. Possesses advanced analytical ability, be diplomatic and tactful, and use good judgment and common sense. Possess excellent verbal and written skills to communicate information and directions to courts, attorneys, investigators, police agencies and citizens. Attorney is responsible for working in a cooperative manner with support staff and investigators. Attorney must be computer literate.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
While performing the duties of this position, the attorney is regularly required to walk, sit, stand, bend, stoop, grasp, lift, reach, pull and push.