Employer: Galveston County Criminal District Attorney’s Office
Location: Galveston, TX
The Galveston County Criminal District Attorney’s Office has an immediate opening for a Victim Assistance Coordinator.
Job Summary: This position requires an understanding of a trauma-based, client centered approach in serving crime victims. The position is responsible for direct service delivery to Felony, Misdemeanor, and Juvenile crime victims. This position assists victims of crimes in securing services from community resources, acts as a liaison for victims with law enforcement, justice and social service agencies, and ensures victims are informed of their rights, relevant court proceedings and case status.
- Major duties include:
- Conduct initial intakes, screening, and assessments for victims to establish short-term goals for safety and security, court advocacy, safety planning and lethality assessments.
- Provides information and assistance to victims as requested, ensuring that they are apprised of their Victim’s Rights.
- Screens misdemeanor, felony and juvenile cases; prepares and mails Victim Impact Statement and Crime Victim’s Compensation packets and provides the victim with the names of the assigned prosecutor and investigator.
- Assists victims with help in completing Victim Impact Statements and the Crime Victim’s Compensation Fund applications as requested.
- Sets up interviews with victims/witnesses and assistant criminal district attorneys/police agencies and provides assistance during the interviews.
- This position requires some outreach and travel throughout the county to be on call, as needed, to meet with victim/witnesses in hospitals or other locations.
- Monitors and provide victims with information regarding relevant court proceedings.
- Accompanies victims to courtroom/grand jury, and Protective Order hearings as needed.
- Provides extra support to victims of domestic violence by referring these victims to the local shelters.
- Provides extra support to child victims as they interface with police agencies, Children’s Protective Services and the various components of the Criminal Justice System.
- Opens and processes Victim Impact Statements; dates, and files victim impact statements.
- Notifies victims of the appellate / parole proceedings when appropriate.
- Refers victims to appropriate social service agencies, medical services and counseling services.
- Coordinates and assists families of victims with funeral expenses.
- Assists victims in establishing restitution totals.
- Assists victims with regard to the return of property held by law enforcement agencies.
- Notifies victims and family members of case dispositions.
- Provides assistance to victims regarding probated and paroled sentences.
- Prepares weekly and monthly statistical and grant reports. Prepares and maintains relevant files.
- Assists county in developing the Galveston County Community Plan.
- Provides training to law enforcement agencies, prosecutors and other D.A. staff members, and to other agencies in regard to victims’ rights.
- Acts as liaison for office with other agencies involved in serving victims.
- Assist in planning and coordinating community awareness events.
- Able to report regularly for work and be on time.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Associate’s degree or higher in social service assistant or specialist.
- 2+ years of experience working in victim service field.
- Knowledge of victims’ rights, regulations and laws.
- Knowledge of court terminology, policies and procedures.
- Must have proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Seeking multi-language candidate to be able to speak, read and write Spanish proficiently, providing oral interpretation or written translation of documents.
Starting salary is $44,071.
Submit resumes and references via email or mail to:
First Assistant District Attorney
600 59th Street, Suite 1001
Galveston, Texas 77551