ASSISTANT COUNTY ATTORNEY
LIBERTY COUNTY JOB CLASSIFICATION
TITLE: ASSISTANT COUNTY ATTORNEY
LOCATION: LIBERTY, TEXAS
POSTING DATE: June 6, 2018
CLOSING DATE: Until Filed
CONTACT PERSON: Matthew Poston, County Attorney
ADDRESS: 1923 Sam Houston St., Liberty, Texas 77575
SALARY RANGE: $47,078.69 - $68,264.11, commensurate with experience
LIBERTY COUNTY, County Attorney’s Office seeking full-time ASSISTANT COUNTY ATTORNEY to represent Liberty County and the State of Texas in the prosecution of misdemeanor and juvenile offenses. Required qualifications include a Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school; a license to practice law in the State of Texas and be in good standing with the Texas Bar Association; and meet the requirements for DPS and CJIS security clearance. The County Attorney’s Office is also responsible for providing legal services in support of county government operations. This position is responsible for providing support to all activities of the office, to varying degrees, while also assuming primary responsibilities in specific areas.
- Represent the State of Texas in the prosecution of Class A and Class B misdemeanors, juvenile misdemeanors and felonies, traffic offenses and other Class C misdemeanors in justice courts.
- Review offense reports and other evidence at intake to determine whether the facts alleged amount to a violation of the law, and if so, ensure the proper criminal charges are filed.
- Attends all court sessions for arraignments, resets, pre-trial and trial dockets. Assist the County Attorney as directed. Communicate well with defense attorneys in scheduling hearings and trials, as well as in negotiations to achieve a satisfactory resolution of assigned cases.
- Meet with law enforcement officers, witnesses and others to review case files, evaluate and assemble evidence, and prepare for hearings and trials.
- Review applications for protective orders and prepare for hearings. Meet with victims of family violence, law enforcement and victim assistance coordinators to review family violence related issues, and determine if there is sufficient evidence to proceed in obtaining final protective orders.
- Prepare and draft motions, briefs, discovery compliance, appeals and other related court documents.
- Assist the County Attorney in advising other county officials, including Commissioners Court, and department heads on legal matters relating to county government. Be willing to assist in research, drafting and preparing briefs, contracts and other documents related to county government issues.
- Research and recommend county policies to reflect the expressed goals of elected officials, identifying and minimizing liability for Liberty County.
- Litigating on behalf of Liberty County and its elected officials and department heads, and supporting outside counsel in those efforts.
- Responding to public information requests.
- Reviewing and preparing contracts on behalf of Liberty County.
- Preparing responses to petitions filed for expunctions and nondisclosure and representing the State of Texas in those hearings.
- Perform any additional duties as directed by the County Attorney.
- Juris Doctor Degree from an accredited ABA law school.
- Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Texas.
- Must be willing to try criminal cases.
- Must be able to conduct oneself in a professional manner and develop and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, attorneys, judges, county officials and other department heads.
- Must be willing to work independently, but also be a team player.
- Must be able to pass a thorough background check and drug test.
- Any combination of training, education, and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skill and ability to perform the job functions of an Assistant County Attorney.
Complete Job Descriptions and Applications can be viewed at:
Please send completed applications, resume, cover letter and references to [email protected]. For more information contact the Liberty County Attorney’s Office at (936) 336-4650.