Posting Number: 2017-012
POSITION: Assistant District Attorney – Misdemeanor
LOCATION: Criminal District Attorney’s Office, Wichita County Courthouse
SUPERVISOR: Criminal District Attorney / First Assistant District Attorney
HOURS: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday (Additional hours may be required)
SALARY: $59,385.71 - $61,886.00 Annually
Posting Date: November 29, 2017
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
► GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
Serves as an Assistant District Attorney in the Wichita County Criminal District Attorney’s Office – handling misdemeanor cases including Class C offenses, juvenile, mental health and protective order cases.
► ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Reviews and processes the case packet for each criminal case filed by a police agency and initiates prosecution where appropriate.
- Reviews and processes case information in juvenile, mental health and protective order cases.
- Attends docket calls, conducts plea bargain negotiations, is well prepared on assigned cases, makes decisions promptly and keeps abreast of the law.
- Is of extremely high integrity, professional demeanor and demonstrates proper respect to the court at all times.
- Reviews assigned cases, supervises secretaries in preparation of paperwork, checks all pleadings for accuracy, makes timely issuance of applications for subpoenas and prepares and files motions promptly and accurately.
- Is available for consultations with court personnel, victims, witnesses, defendants, defense attorneys and other criminal justice personnel.
- Is responsible for all cases in his/her charge including the security of the file. Upon the disposition of each case, properly completes the case file to show such disposition.
- Prepares cases for jury or bench trials, including pretrial motions, orders, interviewing witnesses and preparing trial notebooks and jury charges.
- Complies with and enforces the rules, regulations and policies of the Criminal District Attorney's Office, the oral and written directives of his/her supervisors and the Texas Code of Professional Responsibility.
- Performs all other job-related duties as assigned.
► MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be a graduate of an American Bar Association accredited law school.
- Must have a license to practice law in the State of Texas and be in good standing with the State and local bar associations.
- Must have a basic knowledge of criminal law, procedure and criminal rules of evidence.
- Must have knowledge of the principals and methods of legal research.
- Must have the ability to analyze facts and case precedents and present them effectively in court.
- Must be able to conduct self in a professional manner and develop and maintain good working relationships with visitors, clients, co-workers, attorneys, judges and County officials.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical exam and drug test paid by Wichita County.
- Must be able to pass a thorough background investigation conducted by Wichita County.
► CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must be able to occasionally lift and move loads weighing up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The Criminal District Attorney’s Office is a non-smoking environment.
- Interviews will be conducted as applications are received.
► APPLY TO:
To be considered for employment, please submit your completed Wichita County Employment Application, cover letter, resume, transcript and writing sample to:
Office of the Criminal District Attorney
Wichita County, Texas
ATTN: LaDonna Bedford
900 7th Street, Suite 352
Wichita Falls, Texas 76301
Or email to: [email protected]