JOB TITLE: Assistant District Attorney
SALARY: $70,000 - $73,000 annually depending on experience. Benefits include health insurance, retirement, paid State Bar dues, TDCAA Membership, CLE, and vacation pay.
CLOSING DATE: Upon filling position
The Wharton County District Attorney’s Office is in search of an experienced prosecutor for a position starting immediately. The office currently consists of the elected district attorney, three assistant district attorneys, an investigator and five support staff.
Wharton County is rural county located approximately 60 miles southwest of Houston, Texas. We are an extremely busy office which handles misdemeanor and felony cases.
Responsibilities may include but not limited to:
- Reviewing and evaluating new incoming cases
- All aspects of felony prosecution from intake through trial
- Advising law enforcement in criminal matters
- Appearances in all courts, primarily in District Court
- Perform legal research
- Establish and maintain an effective professional working relationship with the District Attorney, office personnel, county employees and officials, court personnel, private attorneys, and the general public.
- Doctorate in Jurisprudence from an ABA accredited law school.
- Currently licensed and in good standing with the State Bar of Texas.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Spanish speaker is preferred but not required
- Preference will be given to Wharton County residents or those willing to move to Wharton County within six months of employment
Individuals that enjoy trial work, are highly organized, positive, and motivated are encouraged to apply. Candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and completed Wharton County Employment Application to Wharton County District Attorney’s Office via email to [email protected] or U.S. Mail to 327 East Milam Street, Wharton Texas 77488, Attn: Dawn Allison. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Not all applicants will be interviewed. No phone calls will be accepted.
The Wharton County Employment Application may be accessed via this link: http://www.co.wharton.tx.us/default.aspx?Wharton_County/Jobs.Openings
Wharton County is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, disability or national origin.