POSITION: Assistant District Attorney – Misdemeanor
Wichita County, Texas
SALARY: Starts at $59,385.71 Annually
► GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
The District Attorney-Elect of Wichita County is currently accepting applications for the position of Assistant District Attorney – Misdemeanor. Interviews will be conducted starting January 2019 and thereafter as applications are received. This position is located in Wichita Falls, Texas, a short drive from the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex and Oklahoma City. The position will handle all manner of misdemeanor cases as well as juvenile, mental health and protective order cases.
► ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Reviews and processes criminal cases filed by law enforcement agencies.
- Reviews and processes juvenile, mental health and protective order cases.
- Attends docket calls, conducts plea bargain negotiations, is well prepared on assigned cases, makes decisions promptly, and keeps abreast of the law.
- Maintains the high level of integrity, professional demeanor and proper respect for the justice system and all its partners at all times.
- Reviews assigned cases, supervises secretaries in preparation of paperwork, checks all pleadings for accuracy, makes timely issuance of applications for subpoenas and prepares and files motions, briefs, or other pleadings promptly and accurately.
- Consults with court personnel, victims, witnesses, defendants, defense attorneys and other criminal justice personnel.
- Prepares cases for jury or bench trials, including preparing all pretrial motions and orders, preparing jury charges, interviewing witnesses and preparing trial notebooks.
- Complies with and enforces the rules, regulations and policies of the Criminal District Attorney's Office, the oral and written directives of his/her supervisors and the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Performs all other job-related duties as assigned.
► MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be a graduate of an American Bar Association accredited law school.
- Must have a license to practice law in the State of Texas and be in good standing with the State and local bar associations.
- Must have a basic knowledge of criminal law, procedure and rules of evidence.
- Must have knowledge of the principals and methods of legal research.
- Must have the ability to analyze facts and case precedents and present them effectively in court.
- Must be able to conduct self in a professional manner and develop and maintain good working relationships with visitors, clients, co-workers, attorneys, judges and County officials.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical exam and drug test paid for by Wichita County.
- Must be able to pass a thorough background investigation conducted by Wichita County.
► APPLY TO:
To be considered for employment, please complete the Employment Application found on the Wichita County Human Resources website at http://www.co.wichita.tx.us/Human_Resources/. Please submit your completed Wichita County Employment Application, cover letter, resume, transcript and writing sample to:
Human Resources Office
Wichita County, Texas
ATTN: Amanda Cameron
900 7th Street, Room 132
Wichita Falls, Texas 76301
Or email to: [email protected]
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: It is the policy of Wichita County to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job categories without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or disability. It is the policy of Wichita County to consider qualified individuals according to ADAAA standards. If notified in advance, requested accommodations will be considered. Final reasonable accommodations will be determined in accordance with ADAAA standards by departments after appropriate consultation. Rejected accommodations will be documented and retained on file.
TEXAS RELAY: TDD (800) 735-2989, VOICE (800) 735-2988. For candidates requesting Braille, Mobility requests, etc., please call (940) 766-8108. HR/ADAAA Compliance Office, Wichita County Courthouse, 900 7th Street, Room 132, Wichita Falls, Texas 76301.