DA_CROWLEY - 133 N RIVERFRONT BLVD 11TH FL LB19 - DALLAS
DISTRICT ATTORNEYS OFFICE
With minimal supervision and oversight, performs advanced legal work in the area assigned. Work involves litigation and legal research; drafting legal documents; and interpreting laws, rules, and regulations. Work is performed under general direction with authority to make tactical and legal decisions in connection with assigned cases OR prosecutes the more complex general or special-category felony cases in assigned court. Performs case evaluation, preparation and management; represents the state in pre-trial and evidentiary hearings and jury/court trials; and ensures effective communications with defense attorneys, court personnel, victims and family members, witnesses, and other interested parties.
- Evaluates criminal complaints in order to decide whether or not to accept or reject the case for prosecution, to determine the appropriate charge to be filed and to prepare the required documentation for indictment.
- Evaluates assigned case or lawsuit by:
- • reviewing documentation,
• conducting necessary legal research on applicable law,
• interviewing witnesses or persons with knowledge of the case,
• gathering evidence, and
• determining most appropriate action(s) to be taken.
- Drafts, files and responds to necessary motions, briefs, or other legal documents for trial and/or hearing.
- Explains legal process to potential witnesses and prepares witnesses for court testimony and ensures client of victim/family kept informed on status of case.
- Gathers, prepares, and presents evidence, exhibits, and related material for trial or hearing. Represents the State or client in trial and hearings by:
- • conducting jury selection,
• presenting opening statements,
• conducting direct and cross-examinations of witnesses, and
• presenting closing arguments.
- Negotiates settlements or plea-bargain.
- Obtains approval, if necessary, of plea-bargain agreement if reached. Prepares necessary legal document if settlement or plea-bargain agreement is reached and ensures proper signatures are secured and documents filed as required.
- Manages court docket and case schedules to ensure court deadlines are met and records and documentation are accurate and up-to-date.
- Trains or assists in training Attorneys I, II, and III.
- On an as needed basis, may perform some of the duties of the Section Chief on a short-term temporary basis. Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited law school with a current license to practice law in the State of Texas. Two (2) years and six (6) months of experience practicing law. Experience as lead prosecutor for all levels of felony offenses, serving as lead counsel in conjunction with civil litigation, or extensive appellate work on direct appeals is required. Requires a current license to practice law in the State of Texas. Normal office environment. This is an “at will” position with no civil service or other appellate rights. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
An extensive pre-employment background investigation will be conducted on all applicants who have been offered a position with Dallas County. The hiring process involves successful completion of each step. The steps include: Criminal History Review, Traffic Violations Record, Review of Personal History Statement and Documents, Physical Examination, and Background Investigation. Dallas County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, National Service Alumni volunteers, and persons with a criminal background are encouraged to apply. These Attorney IV positions will comprise a new pre-trial bond unit at the DA's office. The unit will be located at the Lew Sterrett Jail. The approximate hours to be worked will be 7AM -3PM, 3PM-11PM, and 11PM-7AM, Monday through Friday. Please specify for which time shifts you are applying.
Minimum Salary: 7386.59
Maximum Salary: 8860.32
Applicants should apply online by clicking HERE.