POSITION: Court Investigator, Wichita County, Texas
SALARY: Starts at $49,753.00 Annually
► GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
The District-Attorney Elect of Wichita County is currently accepting applications for the position of Court Investigator. Interviews will be conducted starting January 2019 and thereafter as applications are received. This position is located in Wichita Falls, Texas, a short drive from the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex and Oklahoma City. The position performs investigations and serves subpoenas in case preparation of both criminal and civil cases arising out of the District Attorney’s Office.
► ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Assists attorneys in obtaining needed reports and documents from law enforcement agencies.
- Reviews completed investigations, reports and case-files of law enforcement agencies.
- Determines if all investigative avenues have been explored to prepare the case for trial/disposition.
- Assists attorneys in their preparation of cases filed in Wichita County for trial/disposition.
- Locates and arrests defendants in non-arrest status cases.
- Locates and interviews witnesses.
- Accumulates records subpoenaed or requested by the attorneys.
- Acts as liaison with law enforcement officers/agencies to ensure reports and evidence are properly prepared.
- Ensures prompt return of property no longer needed as evidence.
- Reviews/coordinates court order for destruction of evidence with appropriate law enforcement agency.
- Evaluates interviews of children who are victims of physical/sexual abuse.
- Carries a firearm with legal authority to use in proper circumstances. Responsible for knowing when those circumstances are present.
- Conducts surveillance, raids, searches of premises and line-ups associated with investigations or allegations of criminal activity.
- Investigates crime scenes, collects, preserves and tags evidence and determines the need for crime laboratory analysis and identification.
- Serves subpoenas for hearings and trials as requested by the attorneys.
- Testifies in criminal trials.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned or required.
► ADDITIONAL DUTIES:
- On call 24/7 for major crime scene investigations.
- Investigates criminal activity in which the District Attorney’s Office is the initial investigative agency.
- Must be prepared to travel with the District Attorney and staff on cases which may require a change of venue.
► MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent (GED).
- Must have at least five years of experience as a certified Texas Peace Officer and be current on TCOLE training hours.
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and clear driver’s license status.
- Must possess above average writing skills.
- Must be able to work overtime or extended hours when necessary.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively with attorneys, staff members, victims of crimes and citizens.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical exam and drug test paid by Wichita County.
- Must be able to pass a thorough background investigation conducted by Wichita County.
► APPLY TO:
To be considered for employment, please complete the Employment Application found on the Wichita County Human Resources website at http://www.co.wichita.tx.us/Human_Resources/. Please submit your completed Wichita County Employment Application, cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources Office
Wichita County, Texas
ATTN: Amanda Cameron
900 7th Street, Room 132
Wichita Falls, Texas 76301
Or email to: [email protected]
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: It is the policy of Wichita County to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job categories without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or disability. It is the policy of Wichita County to consider qualified individuals according to ADAAA standards. If notified in advance, requested accommodations will be considered. Final reasonable accommodations will be determined in accordance with ADAAA standards by departments after appropriate consultation. Rejected accommodations will be documented and retained on file.
TEXAS RELAY: TDD (800) 735-2989, VOICE (800) 735-2988. For candidates requesting Braille, Mobility requests, etc., please call (940) 766-8108. HR/ADAAA Compliance Office, Wichita County Courthouse, 900 7th Street, Room 132, Wichita Falls, Texas 76301.