Assistant County Attorney
The Coryell County Attorney’s office is accepting applications for the position of Assistant County Attorney. We are looking for someone who can start on or about January 1, 2013.
The primary duty of this position will be the representation of Child Protective Services (CPS) in child abuse and neglect cases. Applicants should be interested in quickly taking over an active case load of CPS cases.
Additional duties will include:
1. All aspects of misdemeanor prosecution, including case screening/intake, preparation of pleadings, motions, affidavits, warrants and other paperwork as necessary, witness preparation, securing and marshaling of evidence, and representation of the State in pretrial proceedings, as well as in criminal bench trials and jury trials in justice courts and the Statutory County Court at Law; and, All aspects of civil litigation including but not limited to each of the above job functions.
2. Performance of all legal research necessary to effectively represent the County and the State of Texas in civil and criminal cases;
3. Preparation of briefs and other paperwork required in appeals of civil and criminal cases;
4. Advising and training law enforcement agencies and officers on issues of criminal law and criminal procedure; and
5. Other duties as assigned by the County Attorney.
Candidates should be proficient in electronic legal research. Candidates should possess superior communications skills. Abilities to manage a considerable docket of active cases and consistently satisfy deadlines in the face of competing time demands are essential functions of the position. The selected candidate must be able to demonstrate these skills and perform these functions with minimal direction from the County Attorney. Additionally, dealing with co-workers, staff and the other stakeholders mentioned above in a professional and courteous manner is considered to be an essential function of the position.
Salary is dependent upon experience. State Bar dues, CLE, and membership in TDCAA for the selected candidate will be paid by the County Attorney’s Office.
Job requirements are:
- Licensed to practice law in Texas
- Pass a criminal background check
- Good standing with the State Bar of Texas
- Ability to work in an office environment and interact effectively with others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Courtroom experience
- The ability and desire to immediately assume responsibility for a full case-load
Application form located on website: http://coryellcounty.org
Please submit your resume and application via email or fax to:
Coryell County Attorney
210 S. 7th St.
Gatesville, TX 76528