ASSISTANT CITY ATTORNEY – Civil Service/Police& Fire Legal Advisor
Sign-On Bonus: $5,000
Salary: $84,385.00 – $105,481.00 Annually
Location: 2401 Market St. Baytown, TX
We are seeking an Assistant City Attorney to serve the City of Baytown and the Baytown Police and Fire Departments as a Civil Service/Police & Fire Legal Advisor. This position will provide counsel to the Police and Fire Chiefs, their staff and will have the opportunity to develop strong working relationships with the City’s police officers and firefighters.
Full Benefits Package Including:
- Paid holiday, vacation & sick leave to support your work/life balance
- Insurance options
- Free employee clinic for medical coverage participants
- TMRS retirement with 14% City contribution
- Mental health and financial education benefits
- And much more
The Assistant City Attorney – Civil Service/Police & Fire Legal Advisor advises Police and Fire Departments on legal matters affecting law enforcement, human resources and civil service matters. Staff counsel to the Chief of Police, Fire Chief, and the Tow Truck Committee, and tries administrative cases before the Civil Service Commission. Provides technical/legal advice at crime scenes. Provides in-service training for the Police and Fire Departments. Serves as legal contact with the District Attorney’s Office, and various local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies. Prepares and/or reviews interlocal agreements, contracts, ordinances, etc.
- Advises Police and Fire Departments on discipline/civil service problems.
- Develops and teaches training programs for the Fire and Police Departments.
- Reviews laws/legal decisions and updates officers on changes.
- Provides legal and technical advice “in the field” at crime scenes. Provides legal advice on criminal law issues.
- Develops/reviews rules and regulations for the Police and Fire Department.
- Assists in case development, drafting search warrants, and preparation of cases to submit to the District Attorney.
- Reviews and responds to public information/subpoena requests.
- Prepares and/or reviews interlocal agreements, contracts, ordinances, etc.
- Attends regular City Council meetings twice per month, attends other open meetings, special meetings, and training sessions as scheduled. Direct attendance to tow truck committees meeting and BPAC meetings/hearings as needed.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor Degree from an accredited Law School.
- License to practice law in Texas
- License to practice law in the Southern District of Texas (Federal) or submission of Federal admission packet to obtain license within six (6) months of hire.
- Three years legal experience.
- Valid Texas driver’s license with an acceptable driving record (must obtain TX driver’s license within 90 days).
- Experience teaching law enforcement.
- Basic Peace Officer Certificate from TCOLE.
- Prosecutorial experience
- License to practice law in U.S. Court of Appeals-5th Circuit.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledgeable in Texas criminal, traffic, civil service, civil liability, Code of Criminal Procedure, Code of Civil Procedure, court rules and procedures, open records, open meetings, and familiar with federal criminal law and state family law. Skilled in police and fire field procedures, and crime scene techniques. Ability to communicate effectively and translate legal technical information to “laymen’s” terms, teach in classroom and in the field, develop a working relationship with police officers and fire fighters. Must be able to listen, analyze, and develop courses of action in areas of responsibility. Must be able to work under pressure. Ability to prepare accurate and precise legal documents. Ability to get along appropriately with co-workers and the public.
Attendance is an essential function of this position. The City reserves the right to require an employee in this position to work overtime. This position provides services or performs duties for the benefit of the general public during emergency situations. These may include services or duties different from those performed in the usual course and scope of your job. In the event of an evacuation, the incumbent in this position may be required to remain to perform needed services.
Overall Position Strength Demands
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects
All applicants must apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/baytowntx/jobs/3965837/assistant-city-attorney-civil-service-police-fire-legal-advisor