EMPLOYER: Aransas County
Location: Rockport, TX
Effective Date: January 1, 2021
Salary: Depends on experience and begins at $68,730.25
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The Aransas County Attorney Elect is accepting applications for an Assistant County Attorney I with an effective start date of January 1, 2021. Interested applicants may submit a resume through the online portal or at the Human Resources office located at 2840 Hwy 35 N., Rockport, TX
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Performs legal work necessary to effectively represent Aransas County in misdemeanor, felony and civil matters.
- Reports to: County Attorney
- Other: Frequent communication with outside agencies and County officials, including the Commissioners Court and its department heads, the Sheriff’s Office and other elected officials, County employees, attorneys, opposing attorneys, the County Attorney and other Civil Division Personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Prosecuting and assisting in misdemeanor cases – from intake to trial;
- Prosecuting and assisting in felony cases – from intake to trial;
- Assisting in CPS cases;
- Assisting in Juvenile cases;
- Assisting in Protective Orders;
- Assisting in Mental Health commitments;
- Prosecuting and assisting with Justice of the Peace Courts – from intake to trial;
- Attends docket calls, conducts plea bargain negotiations, is well prepared on assigned cases, makes decisions promptly and keeps abreast of the law;
- Is of extremely high integrity, professional demeanor and demonstrates proper respect to the court at all times;
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Candidates should be proficient in electronic legal research.
- Candidates should possess superior communications skills with the ability to work with staff, law enforcement, probation officers, victims, witnesses and other attorneys
- Must have the ability to analyze facts and case precedents and present them effectively in court
- Abilities to manage a considerable docket of active cases and consistently satisfy deadlines in the face of competing time demands are essential functions of the position.
- The selected candidate must be able to demonstrate these skills and perform these functions with minimal direction from the County Attorney
- Must pass UA screening furnished by the County.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Ability to work in an office environment and interact effectively with others.
- Strong work ethic with a commitment to ethical prosecution
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Doctorate in Jurisprudence from an accredited law school.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience as an assistant county or district attorney, city attorney or other governmental attorney with experience in areas related to the job duties is preferred.
- Bi-lingual is a plus
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED
- Must be currently licensed by the State Bar to practice law and in good standing.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Regularly required to sit, bend, kneel, walk, stand, reach, and move objects weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Mainly indoor activity.
- Significant contact with the public, crime victims, witnesses, persons accused/convicted of crimes, police officers, and other law enforcement /courthouse personnel.
- For the purpose of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the ADA Amendment Act, this job description does not take into account potential reasonable accommodations.
Please send resume, cover letter and references to [email protected] or Aransas County, HR Department, 2840 Hwy 35 N., Rockport, TX 78382. For more information, call Human Resources at 361-790-0135.