Salary: $70,500.00 plus benefits
Location: Del Rio, TX
The Val Verde County Attorney’s office in Del Rio, Texas is currently seeking applications to fill the full-time position of Assistant County Attorney. The position is available immediately. The County Attorney’s office is responsible for prosecuting misdemeanor cases, advising commissioners court and rendering legal advice to other elected county officials. Because of its varied responsibilities, an interested applicant must be flexible and energetic and able to work well under pressure.
The position of Assistant County Attorney may require assuming the responsibilities of the County Attorney in her absence. Therefore, the applicant must be able to exercise independent judgment and work with little supervision.
Val Verde County is located on the Texas/Mexico border. The position requires continuous interaction with various individuals of diverse backgrounds. Consequently, the successful applicant must be assertive, yet courteous. Additionally, the applicant must possess good interpersonal skills. An applicant who is experienced with border communities is preferred.
The position involves knowledge of criminal law. Proficiency in research and the ability to identify relevant issues is essential. A practical approach to legal issues is required.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Doctorate of Jurisprudence; Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Texas;
- Must secure and maintain a favorable background investigation from the County Attorney’s Office;
- Fluency in the Spanish language preferred;
- May be required to work more than 40 hours per week;
- Physical requirements include lifting/carrying 5-10 lbs. constantly;
- Lifting/carrying up to 40 lbs.;
- Visual acuity, speech and hearing;
- Hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate computer keyboard and basic office equipment; and
- Subject to sitting, standing, walking reaching, handling and climbing to perform the essential functions.
Confidential application may be made through the Val Verde County Personnel Office, 400 Pecan Street, Del Rio, Texas 78840 Attn: Mrs. Juanita Barrera, or via email to [email protected]. Please provide a resume and salary experience in a sealed envelope. Candidates who are selected for an interview must provide a law school transcript and a writing sample. A successful candidate may not represent a defendant in a state criminal case nor represent any clients with claims against the State of Texas or the County of Val Verde. Questions regarding the position may be directed to Ms. Sonia Luna, Administrative Assistant, Val Verde County Attorney’s Office by calling (830) 774-7571.