Position: Assistant County & District Attorney
Misdemeanor I Prosecutor
Employer: Ellis County & District Attorney’s Office
Location: Waxahachie, TX
The Ellis County & District Attorney has an opening for a Misdemeanor I Prosecutor, handling misdemeanor criminal cases, mental health and protective order cases, and cases in Justice of the Peace courts, including Class C offenses and county code violation cases.
• Reviews and processes the case packet for each criminal case filed by a police agency and initiates prosecution where appropriate.
• Reviews and processes case information in mental health and protective order cases, as well as cases in the Justice of the Peace courts.
• Attends docket calls, conducts plea bargain negotiations, is well prepared on assigned cases, makes decisions promptly and keeps abreast of the law.
• Is of extremely high integrity, professional demeanor and demonstrates proper respect to the court at all times.
• Reviews assigned cases, supervises support staff in preparation of paperwork, checks all pleadings for accuracy, makes timely applications for subpoenas and prepares and files motions promptly and accurately.
• Is available for consultations with court personnel, victims, witnesses, defendants, defense attorneys and other criminal justice personnel.
• Is responsible for all cases in his/her charge, including the security of the file; and properly documenting the case file along each step of the process, including final disposition
• Prepares cases for jury or bench trials, including pretrial motions, orders, interviewing witnesses, preparing trial notebooks and jury charges.
• Complies with and enforces the rules, regulations and policies of the County & District Attorney’s Office, the oral and written directives of his/her supervisors and the Texas Code of Professional Responsibility.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• Graduate of an accredited law school, currently licensed to practice law in the State of Texas and in good standing with the State Bar.
• Must have a basic knowledge of criminal law, procedure and criminal rules of evidence.
• Must have knowledge of the principals and methods of legal research.
• Must have the ability to analyze facts and case precedents and present them effectively in court.
• Must be able to conduct self in a professional manner and develop and maintain good working relationships with visitors, clients, co-workers, attorneys, judges and county officials.
• Must be able to pass a thorough background check.
• Must be able to work independently while also being a team player.
Annual Salary: $67,347.00
Send resume and cover letter via email only to: