Location: Abilene, Texas
Job Title: Assistant Criminal District Attorney-CPS and Civil
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Criminal District Attorney’s Office
Salary: Based on Experience
Open Until Filled
Supervisor: Criminal District Attorney
Starting Salary: $63,000
As an assistant criminal district attorney in the civil division, you will manage approximately 20% of Child Protective Services (CPS) cases in Taylor County and 20% of family violence and sexual assault protective order applications. Details about the Taylor County CPS caseload can be explored at https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/About_DFPS/Data_Book/.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise investigators of the Department of Family and Protective Services as to what legal action is appropriate regarding children who have been abused or neglected.
- Manage all aspects of pending litigation including but not limited to: drafting pleadings and orders, completing discovery, and representing the Department at all assigned hearings and trials.
- Evaluate protective order applications in a timely manner and prosecute as appropriate.
Minimum Qualifications, Education and Licenses
- Must have a J.D. or equivalent degree from an accredited law school
- Must be licensed with the State Bar of Texas
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The ideal candidate will be familiar with family law or will be an exceptionally fast learner as the case load will be assigned immediately with supervision.
- The ideal candidate will be diplomatic and able to recommend and implement creative solutions
- Mastery of the Rules of Evidence is essential
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, county officials, the court system, and the general public
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints
- Ability to use a personal computer, including word processing, spreadsheet programs and data entry; calculator, telephone, copy machine and fax machine
Work is primarily done indoors in an environmentally controlled room, smoke free office.
- Employee medical and dental insurance
- Paid life and disability insurance
- Paid vacation and sick time
How to Apply
Applicants can mail resume to James Hicks, Taylor County Criminal District Attorney, Attention: Donna Grant, 300 Oak, Suite 300, Abilene, Texas 79602 or applicants can email resume to Office Manager, Donna Grant at [email protected]