The Wharton County District Attorney’s Office is in search of full-time entry level prosecutor. Position is available immediately. The office currently consists of the elected district attorney, two assistant district attorneys, an investigator and four support staff. This posting is for a temporary full-time position which may lead into a permanent full time-position. Wharton County is rural county located approximately 60 miles southeast of Houston along Highway 59.
Perfect opportunity for a law school graduate waiting for their bar results or a new lawyer who wants to gain a lot of prosecution experience including courtroom appearances in a short amount of time. This person must be a self-starter with excellent writing and research skills. Highly organized, positive, and motivated individuals are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities may include but not limited to:
- Review and evaluate new incoming cases
- Perform legal research
- Assist attorney’s in preparing for hearings and trials
- Appearances in Justice of the Peace, Misdemeanor and Felony Court
- Establish and maintain an effective professional working relationship with District Attorney office personnel, other county employees and officials, court personnel, private attorneys, and the general public.
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school
- If not licensed by the State of Texas must be eligible for a temporary bar card
- Valid Texas Driver’s License
- Spanish speaker preferred, but not required.
Candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and completed Wharton County Employment Application to Wharton County District Attorney’s Office via email to [email protected] or U.S. Mail to 327 East Milam Street, Wharton Texas 77488, ATTN: Jan Whaley. No phone calls please.
The Wharton County Employment Application may be accessed via this link: http://www.co.wharton.tx.us/default.aspx?Wharton_County/Jobs.Openings
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Not all applicants will be interviewed.
Wharton County is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, disability or national origin.