Job Posting Number: 2019-002
POSITION: Assistant District Attorney – Felony
HOURS: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday (Additional hours may be required.)
SALARY: $63,203.00 (Plus County Benefits)
Posting Date: January 10, 2019
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Serves as Assistant District Attorney – Felony in the Wichita County Criminal District Attorney’s Office.
- Reviews and processes the case packet for each criminal case filed by a police agency and initiates prosecution where appropriate.
- Attends docket calls, conducts plea bargain negotiations, is well prepared on assigned cases, makes decisions promptly and keeps abreast of the law.
- Must be of extremely high integrity and have a professional demeanor.
- Demonstrates proper respect to the court at all times.
- Reviews assigned cases, supervises secretaries in preparation of paperwork, checks all pleadings for accuracy, and makes timely issue of applications for subpoenas. Prepares and files motions promptly and accurately.
- Must be available for consultations with court personnel, victims, witnesses, defendants, defense attorneys and other criminal justice personnel.
- Is responsible for all cases in his/her charge.
- Prepares cases for jury or bench trials including pretrial motions, orders, interviewing witnesses, preparing trial notebooks and jury charges.
- Competently tries cases before a jury or a judge.
- Properly completes all papers including statements of fact for defendants sentenced to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice system.
- Complies with the enforcement of the rules, regulations and policies of the District Attorney’s Office and the oral and written directives of his/her supervisors and the Texas Code of Professional Responsibility.
- Performs all other job-related duties as assigned.
- Must be a graduate of an A.B.A. accredited law school.
- Must have a license to practice law in the State of Texas and be in good standing with the State and local bar associations.
- Must have a minimum of three years experience in criminal law practice.
- Must have a basic knowledge of criminal law, procedure and criminal rules of evidence.
- Must be of extremely high integrity and professional demeanor.
- Must have knowledge of the principles and methods of legal research.
- Must have the ability to analyze facts and case precedents and present them effectively in court.
- Must be able to conduct self in a professional manner and develop and maintain good working relationships with visitors, clients, co-workers, attorneys, judges and County officials.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical exam and drug test paid by Wichita County.
- Must be able to pass a thorough background investigation conducted by Wichita County.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be able to occasionally lift and move loads weighing up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Regular attendance and punctuality are mandatory.
- Must be dependable and of good moral character.
- Wichita County and the Criminal District Attorney’s Office is a non-smoking environment.
How to apply
To be considered for employment, please complete the Employment Application found on the Wichita County Human Resources website at http://www.co.wichita.tx.us/Human_Resources/.
Please submit your completed Wichita County Employment Application, cover letter, resume, transcript and writing sample to:
Office of the Criminal District Attorney Wichita County, Texas
ATTN: LaDonna Bedford
900 7th Street, Suite 352
Wichita Falls, Texas 76301
Or email to: [email protected]
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: It is the policy of Wichita County to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job categories without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or disability. It is the policy of Wichita County to consider qualified individuals according to ADAAA standards. If notified in advance, requested accommodations will be considered. Final reasonable accommodations will be determined in accordance with ADAAA standards by departments after appropriate consultation. Rejected accommodations will be documented and retained on file.
TEXAS RELAY: TDD (800) 735-2989, VOICE (800) 735-2988. For candidates requesting Braille, Mobility requests, etc., please call (940) 766-8108. HR/ADAAA Compliance Office, Wichita County Courthouse, 900 7th Street, Room 132, Wichita Falls, Texas 76301.