GREGG COUNTY CRIMINAL DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE
Location: Longview, Gregg County, Texas
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Gregg County Criminal District Attorney, Mr. Tom Watson, is seeking a qualified prosecutor to fill an available felony prosecutor position. This job requires knowledge of all phases of criminal prosecution and law enforcement procedures, has daily contact with the public, and is responsible for trying criminal cases and handling all criminal law matters.
- Prepare and evaluate cases daily. Ensure adequate investigation of cases.
- Performs legal research and writing.
- Prepares cases for trial (bench and jury); appears in court to select juries, present evidence, and to direct and cross-examine witnesses; makes sound legal arguments; and acts as an advocate for the State of Texas.
- Responsibilities also include document preparation, pre-trial hearings, bond hearings, plea negotiations, and probation revocation hearings.
- Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of the law, and answers questions from law enforcement.
- Confers with supervisors, defense attorneys, investigators, law enforcement officials, victims, witnesses, and other parties within the community concerning assigned cases.
- Obtains convictions and appropriate punishment according to current law.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Texas and in good standing with the State Bar of Texas.
- Must pass a criminal background check and the required drug screening.
- Must be able to work independently while also being a team player while conducting self in a professional manner.
- Good working knowledge and understanding of and ability to apply the applicable laws, procedures, case holdings, and departmental polices is essential.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with law enforcement, victims, investigators, attorneys, other County offices, and the community’s citizens.
- Ability to think analytically, while using good judgment and common sense.
- Ability to proficiently communicate through both verbal and written skills.
- Ability to support and maintain the confidentiality of case information.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to ethical prosecution.
- Work is performed indoors in a fast-paced and ever changing environment.
- Must be able to lift and move objects weight up to 25 lbs.
- May remain in stationary position for extended periods of time.
- Presentation of cases in a courtroom environment.
- Significant contact with law enforcement, victims, investigators, attorneys, other County offices, and the community’s citizens.
Submit Applications by email:
Tom B. Watson, Criminal District Attorney