Salary: $30.51 Hourly
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: DISTRICT ATTORNEY
Job Number: 19-00318
Closing: 12/5/2019 11:59 PM Central
Screens and charges various cases for which the District Attorney’s Office has responsibility; and/or prepares investigates and litigates various cases filed with the District Attorney’s Office, primary focus on intake with the Corpus Christi Police Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include the following:
- Screens for approval for presentation to the Grand Jury felony criminal cases presented to the District Attorney’s Office from all Constables, Police Departments and other Law Enforcement agencies in Nueces County.
- Performs all aspects of felony intake, including screening, return for more information, preparation of indictment or information, entering all case information into computer software programs.
- Able to productively work remotely from within other agency office (primarily Corpus Christi Police Department).
- Presents cases to the Nueces County Grand jury.
- Reads and reviews criminal cases to determine if they are legally suitable for criminal prosecution.
- Directs peace officers from Corpus Christi Police Department (and occasionally all agencies in Nueces County and some from outside Nueces County) on the extent and quality of their criminal investigation.
- Drafts and prepares legal criminal indictments for all felonies presented to the Nueces county Grand Jury.
- Does legal research on abnormal and unusual criminal situations that arise frequently.
- Reads and understands all current reported criminal cases in legal tests to keep current on law changes.
- Subpoena witnesses before the Grand Jury.
- Examines documents and witnesses appearing before the Grand jury as an investigative tool in criminal cases at the direction of the Grand Jury.
- Approves or rejects requests for arrest warrants from all peace officers.
- Confers with supervisor, defense attorneys, investigators, law enforcement officials, victims, witnesses and other parties concerning assigned cases.
- Responds to correspondence from persons making inquiry to or requesting information from the department.
- Review arrest and search warrants for probable cause and suggest edits as needed.
- Recommend bond amounts for arrest warrants.
- Provide legal guidance to law enforcement for selecting appropriate charge(s) and evidence needed in an investigation.
- May draft final orders, temporary orders, motions during pendency, motions to modify further temporary orders, motions to appoint attorneys, motions regarding service of process, or other court documents applicable to prosecution of assigned cases.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
J.D. or L.L.B. degree from an accredited law school and at least one year
of work experience as an attorney.
Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities, may be considered for current Nueces County employees only.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
REGISTRATIONS: License from the Texas State Bar to
practice law in the State of Texas. Current Texas Operator’s
License. Attorneys use their own private vehicles, rather than County
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must be extremely familiar with the Texas Penal Code and Texas Code of Criminal Procedures.
Good working knowledge of judicial principles, criminal law principles, Texas Family Code, Texas Code of Criminal Procedures, Texas Penal code and Public Law.
Ability to develop research methods and perform legal research.
Ability to receive and follow general instructions and make decisions.
Ability to consult knowledgeably with all parties involved in legal proceedings.
Ability to analyze facts, procedures and legal precedent.
Ability to present facts and precedents effectively in court and in writing.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various levels of law enforcement, other county employees and officials, court personnel, others
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Ability to present cases effectively before courts and/or juries.
Ability to operate a computer to process and retrieve data and information.
Available benefits as a Nueces County employee:
Group Insurance Benefits
· Health Insurance – Aetna
· Dental Insurance – optional
· Vision Insurance – optional
· Short and Long-term Disability Insurance – optional
· Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Flexible health and dependent day care accounts
Retirement program – TCDRS
Deferred Compensation 457
Paid time off – Vacation, Sick leave, Holidays
Education Assistance Program
Address: 901 LEOPARD STREET
Corpus Christi, Texas, 78401
Please visit the following link to apply: www.nuecesco.com